Hot Bricks to Defrost Windshield

I work a 3.92 hour day, 5 day a week job 18 miles away from my home. My 1992 Chevy is in need of a new fan for the heater. Hard to enjoy the drive when the pins for the driver door leave it 1 inch open for the commute. Rougher yet is that the heater fan comes on at will (not my will - it's own will). Therefore, on a crisp, icy morning, I've been stumped as to how to defrost the windshield.

My solution? I normally leave three or four 1/2 bricks on top of my wood stove to wrap in a towel and apply to whatever part of my body is wacky that day. So I applied my hot bricks, wrapped in towels, to the inside dash, and lo and behold, I was able to see clearly until I had gone about 3 miles down the road and my heater popped back on. I guess a little Montana smarts was required to save me the cost of a trip to a repair shop. Bring it on Old Man Winter!

By Gracie from Stevensville, MT

You seem to be a wonderful gal. Keep it up. Love your solutions.

You can also purchase a spray to spray on your windows that works very well. You can find it at most home improvement stores in the automotive section or at an automotive store.

What a great attitude about what seems to be a true problem! Too bad everyone cannot look for solutions as you have done. I will remember this when I think I have something to complain about. Good luck and I hope you have lovely holidays.

Montana Girls are not only Smart they are also Tough!

Danialle from Polson, MT.

I think old man winter heard you. We have 20 in of snow some have 30. Keep using your smarts though. If you don't use it you lose it.

u can also make your own spray w/ alcohol and a good spray bottle..

Consumer Advice Cars Winter DrivingDecember 9, 2010
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
Green paint on a brick wall.
Cleaning Paint from Brick
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
Photo of three red bricks.
Craft Ideas for Bricks