Craft Project: Bird Cage Night Light

By Little Suzy 105 379

I bought an old bird cage hanger at an auction. Later found an old bird cage. I had to use them to make something. This is what I came up with. The light is on a timer to turn on and off in the living room each night. I can use as a night light until I go to bed.

Approximate Time: 3 hours

• Bird cage hanger stand
  • Old bird cage
  • Paint
  • Terra cotta flower pot
  • Ivy and moss
  • Small bird
  • Electric candle with a rubber flame bulb
  • Doily
  • Chain
  • Cable and twisty ties
  • Sponges and brushes

Instructions:

I cleaned and sanded the stand. I painted it a faux finish using sponges and red and gold paint to resemble a rustic look.

I had to repair the bottom of the bird cage to make it strong. I superglued it because it had cracks in the bottom Then I used cable ties and twisty ties to attach it to the wire cage in order to be able to hold the weight of the clay flower pot.

Hang the cage from the stand using a nice chain.

I put styrofoam in the pot to have something to sit the candle on to make it high.

Take moss and put around the top of pot and also silk ivy. You can use artificial flowers too. Position the bird in the center as if he's sitting in the moss for a nest.

Use a doily the same size as the bottom of the cage. This adds interest to the bottom. Sit the pot in the cage.

Try to hide the electric cord as well as possible.

Put a timer on and you have a lovely night light.

By Donna from Millbury, OH

Craft Project: Bird Cage Night Light

Showing: Comments Sort

By Shelly Cole 3 Flag

Donna, This is so fantastic! It is truly one of the most ingenuous things I've seem someone come up with lately!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cyinda 214 1,287 Flag

I'm so mad at myself I could scream! Yesterday I passed up a wonderful little round (brass) bird house with brass leaves for only $3 at a garage sale yesterday! (I thought "better collect no more junk!") & then I see this cute little wonder & wish I'd bought it!

* I've also seen hanging bird cages with tiny golden or clear Christmas lights wrapped around them with a beautiful fake bird inside & a several stiffened silk flowers on top.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Crafts Recycled Crafts OtherJuly 14, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
looking down into potato cage with new growth
Building a Potato Cage
ferrets in their hammock
Setting Up a Ferret Cage
Yellow birds in a cage.
Keeping a Bird Cage Clean
An old bird cage.
Refinishing a Bird Cage
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 1:12:26 PM on 10.0.0.13 in 769 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings