Saving Money on Lunch Box Food Items

My children don't have much time to eat lunch at school. They bring their lunch, and I decided to send them with milk too so that they don't have to waste any time standing in the milk line.

The grocery store only sells individual chocolate milk and I didn't like the sugar content. So I take a small, empty water bottle and fill it with white milk. I put it in their lunch box with an ice pack. It saves them time at lunch and saves us money, too!

By NB from Plaistow, NH

You sound like a thrifty and thoughtful parent. If the water bottle stops working for whatever reason, the "chugs" offered at convenience stores in half-pint and pint sizes should be washable and reusable.

Haven't tried it, but you could freeze the milk/water bottle the night before and put it in the lunch. I would think the milk would defrost by lunch and keep the lunch cool.

I have stopped buying individual packages for lunch boxes. I buy the large sizes and put like applesauce into small Tupperware containers. No baggies, we use Tupperware sandwich containers,this saves money on plastic bags and convenience foods as well as saving space in the garbage. My children always bring home the containers so we reuse and save money.

A child eating a brown bag lunch.
Saving Money on Packed Lunches
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Gott Lunch Box
Finding Replacement Bottles for a Gott Lunch Box
Woman Having Salad for Lunch
Packing Salad for Lunch
A trunk for putting congratulations card into at a wedding.
Making a Card Box for Your Wedding
🎄