50th Anniversary Ideas

Looking for help with 50th anniversary ideas.

By denise80 from Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I don't know if you mean for a party or for a gift. Mu suggestion is for a gift, it is what I did for my brothers 50th wedding anniversary. I got 50 silver dollars from the bank. I was shopping at a dollar store and just happened to find gold foil, a gold gift bag, and gold "Easter" grass. I cut up the foil and wrapped each coin seperately, taping each one shut. then I alternated a little grass and a coin or two in the bag. To open their present, they had to find the coins, and then unwrap, and count to make sure they didn't miss any. My brother knows I am kinda weird anyway, so was not surprized with my idea.

Google "fake newspapers" and you will come up with a slew of them. You can make a newspaper that will be stories and photos of the couple. But, keep in mind to order two, so they can frame either side of the newspaper if they choose. It's great for a gift and for a party!!

Dear friends who were celebrating their 50th anniversary didn't want a party or any kind of big deal event. Since they are both cancer survivors, I made a $50.00 contribution to the American Cancer Society in their name. It was the best choice I could have made!

I recently attended the 50th Anniversary party of a couple that was so wonderful. Their kids got a bunch of old/new pictures from the family album and used Smiling Snaps to compile them into a choreographed DVD show depicting their life together. It was perfectly synchronized to music and because it was professionally made, the results were awesome! It was so touching, the couple as well as many guests got emotional while watching those moments come alive on the screen!

Answer

My parents 50th wedding anniversary is coming very quickly and I am struggling for ideas. We are not having a party because we had a huge 70th birthday party for both of them last year. We are renting condos in southern Indiana and the whole family will be together and I am looking for ideas of what we could do that would be special. I would really appreciate any help you could offer. Thanks.

disneygirl from Crown Point, IN

Answers:

50th Anniversary Ideas?

My parents were very poor and never went anywhere because they didn't have the money or the clothes to wear. Their 6 children respected their wishes not to have a "big party". So we came up with the idea to send post cards to everyone that my parents knew over the years as well as the president (who will respond) and governor, senators, and congressmen. The post card informed the receiver of their 50th wedding anniversary and gave the date and their address, with a request that they "send a card" of congratulations.

"A card shower" ensued. My parents were "elated" when they would go to the mailbox each day for nearly a month and find the cards. I think the number they received was well over one hundred. Mom would read each one, some enclosed stories, money, and congratulations. It took some time before they both realized how people knew they were celebrating an anniversary. We took all the cards and put them in a scrapbook for them to review whenever they wanted, and they did. We had a very small family party and presented the album to them.

(06/16/2006)

By Judy

50th Anniversary Ideas?

For my grandparents' 50th anniversary some years back, the family booked a large table at a restaurant. Each family paid for their own meals and everyone chipped in with the cost of our grandparents meal. We'd also chipped in and bought them a nice gold coloured clock (to denote the passing of time). The were so happy just to be taken out for a meal, it's amazing what older people appreciate. Just the thought and the treat and being treated specially for the evening.

Another idea would be to purchase an album and either a disposable camera (or someone bring a camera) and take photos of everyone celebrating. Then pop them into the album as a keepsake of the evening with perhaps a wedding photo of the special couple at the beginning. Hope they have a great day with whatever you decide. (06/16/2006)

By jojo

50th Anniversary Ideas?

Set up a slide projector that runs automatically during the dinner party or at least cocktail hour. Show slides of them when they were younger. Perhaps photos of their wedding or when the children were young. Eveyone enjoys seeing themselves in pictures.

Stay away from buying gifts that they can't use. If you like, pool your money to buy something they need or a nice vacation. This party is a nice gift in itself.

Make a keepsake album for them with photos of people in attendance. Play games like you'd do at a shower. (06/16/2006)

By Carol in PA

50th Anniversary Ideas?

I just read a lot of good ideas for people whose parents were having their 50th anniversary. Here is another idea a friend of mine used when their parents were celebrating their 50th. They threw a Hawaiian party, as their parents always wanted to go to Hawaii and couldn't afford the trip. Everyone dressed up and served Hawaiian foods and the parents loved it. I also like the sending card party what a great idea. (06/16/2006)

By miraclelady50

50th Anniversary Ideas?

We sent out letters to friends and families asking them to write a funny story, tribute, or best wishes to be included in a scrapbook we were making as a surprise. Each of their children and grandchildren found pictures that were special to them and wrote something to or about them. The kids loved making their own pages and it was special for all involved. We also included their wedding pictures and other treasured family photos. (08/07/2006)

By Valerie

50th Anniversary Ideas?

Last October we celebrated our 50th. I had our original brides maids' bouquets duplicated for center pieces. In the center of each centerpiece, I used 8 x 4 inch diameter glass vases and inserted pictures from our wedding album that I copied on translucent paper. Then I used brite lite voltives (not real candles) to illuminate.

We had gold chargers, with white china, gold table cloth with white overlay and gold napkins. It was stunning. We also had our bakery duplicate our wedding cake. We displayed my wedding dress and his white dinner jacket. Also, we displayed albums covering our 25th, and 40th Anniversary, as well as framed pictures.

For favors I got gold Christmas tree ornaments and printed our names on ribbons (you can order that) and tied the ribbons to the ornaments and placed at each place setting. We had a friend record all of our 50s music and used that for our dance music played by our DJ. (01/26/2008)

By Kylee

50th Anniversary Ideas?

My grandparents are celebrating their 50th this year in September. Since they were married in 1958, we are throwing them a 50's themed party. Everyone will be dressed up from that era and we are even renting a car from back then to have them show up in. (02/05/2008)

By Jessica B.

50th Anniversary Ideas?

In lieu of a gift, the family is spending the weekend together at the same place we celebrated my grandparents' 50th. On a smaller note, I'm having The White House send a card and I'm also buying disposable cameras for all 7 grandchildren (ages 6-14) to commemorate the event.

I read this tidbit and loved it. "I am the only daughter with 3 brothers and so I am starting now to get ahead for my brothers can't think past the day they are on." So true. (05/28/2008)

By Amy

50th Anniversary Ideas?

We are having a DVD made of their dating pictures, wedding, and family pictures of special events in everyone's lives up to a most current picture with 50's music in the background. I would like to know how you get note from the "Whitehouse" that would be really cool. Does anyone know? (07/07/2008)

By Mary B.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My parent's 50th anniversary is fast approaching and my brother, sister and I would like to plan a party, however, we all live in different states and each are about 1000 miles away from my parents! We've discussed meeting in our parents town and taking them out to dinner or planning a party for local family and friends. None of us have much money to spend, but we'd like to make the occasion special. Any and all suggestions would be appreaciated!

chima0692

Answers:
50th Anniversary Ideas? 02/01/2004
If you mean you need ideas for organizing a party, you can either go out for the occasion and have it done for you, or you can do it all yourself (with some help of course).

My parents didn't want a big fuss for their 50th, but we still wanted to celebrate, so we took the immediate family (the siblings, spouses, and grandkids) out to eat at an Italian style family restaurant, and then we kids paid the bill. My sis-in-law brought gold and white balloons filled with helium, tied on long gold and white curling ribbons, and attached them to the backs of my parents' chairs. She also bought an anniversary sheet cake at either BJ's or Sam's Club, which we brought in after the meal and the restaurant brought us plates and silverware to serve it. All in all, it went over well.

On the other hand, I helped a friend organize a large anniversary party for 60 for her parents, held at her church hall. All the planning, decorating, and cooking was done by us and her family members and friends of her family. It takes some planning and work, but you can do it if you have willing helpers!

If you want to have a big "do", see if anyone in the family belongs to a club or organization, and try to rent their hall for the party. It's usually very reasonably priced for members. My sis-in-law rented the Eagles Club hall to have her shower, because my dad's a member; it was cheap at the time. Also check out church halls or community rooms. If the weather's nice, why not reserve a park shelter?

Once you've found a location to hold the party, divide up the duties among family members. One member could do decorations, another could do salads, a third could arrange to have appetizers, a fourth could handle desserts, and so on. They won't have to make them all themselves -- they could call up family members and friends and have each commit to bringing something. Or various people could be "assigned" to bring specific dishes. (People love to show off their best cooking and recipes, and it makes for conversation at the party!) You could handle the main dishes, and believe me, it's not that hard -- borrow some electric roaster ovens and crockpots and think what could go in them, such as roast beef and au jus (the beef is sliced and bought from the local meat market or deli), pasta with sauce and mozarella cheese, swedish meatballs, turkey roll-ups...almost anything can be made for the occasion.

An anniversary sheet cake can be bought reasonably at the local grocery store bakery department or from Sam's or BJ's (stand alone bakeries are usually more expensive). If you're lucky, maybe someone in your family who likes to bake will volunteer to make the cake.

Decorations don't have to be too complicated. Put out colorful poster boards with pictures of your mom and dad from their wedding day up until until today. Ask friends and relatives if they have photos you can borrow too. These will be fun for everyone to see and talk about. You might even put out some momentoes like dad's army hat or mom's wedding tiara to go along with the photos. Centerpieces on the tables could be clusters of helium-filled gold balloons (or whatever colors you like) tied to objects your mom and dad's love are associated with -- a garden spade for mom's love of gardening, a hammer for dad's love of woodworking, a child's rattle from one of the grandchildren -- just associate it with your parents love of someone or something.

For entertainment, line up some friends and family to tell some sweet or funny anecdotes about your mom and dad and why they think the marriage is so successful. Have each sibling make a toast -- or have the grandkids make toasts too. The idea is to have fun! Make the guests happy and comfortable, and honor your mom and dad and their lasting marriage. You don't need to spend a fortune to do that. You just need a little imagination, lot of love, and some family and friends to help out.

Let us know what you decided on when the party is over, and how it turned out!

Ness
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WasteNothing/

By lilredwaz
50th Anniversary Ideas? 02/03/2004
Another idea I have done for many parties is to do a search of all the news items, events and inventions for the year they were married or a time-line of what has happened in all of those glorious years. I've had great success with this. I print up a long scroll. (before i could use continuous paper, I used to tape the pages together) and make a scroll of papertowel tubes. I use nice dowels since i can use continuous paper. I wrap or, hang the scroll with the bottom hanging to be unraveled later. This is a great conversation starter and believe it or not?, everyone loves "reliving the old times" and all join in. Also, being 50th.. use all the gold accents you can, with a pearl white, rather than just plain white or other choices. It makes everything absolutely gorgeous. Also, all the "party plans" of the other responder are great!! I've done a lot of parties and with all that info, you should have a great one!! I hope you have left enough time to plan and follow-through on everything. It takes longer than you think. Best of luck!!
By klucretia
50th Anniversary Ideas? 07/26/2004
I have a question! I am planning a 50th for my folks, and they don't want a 'big blow-out' either. We got a deal (free..good deal, huh?) on a beautiful banquet room overlooking the falls. We're putting together some Memory scrapbooks and will have some of their fav 50's music playing in the room (background music)... Love the gold and white balloon idea! We are ending the evening by having a vow renewal ceremony (hope they are ok with that LOL)

But, here's my question ... we are trying to decide if it should just be immediate family, (kids, spouses, grandkids) or if we should invite a select few to join us.. what is the protocol when paying for dinner. If we invite them, are we obligated to pay for their meal/drinks? And if not, how do you tactfully let them know? Yikes.

By Sandi (Guest Post)
50th Anniversary Ideas? 03/29/2005
Get everyone involved! If you do a party at a restaurant, YOU are responsible for paying for anyone i.e. friends you invite. Using the other posts, you can get food platters, cooked meats, etc, in bulk at places like Costco and most chain grocery stores sell fried chicken in bulk if you order ahead. Pair this with an array of salads that you can make or buy, add a decorated cake, a champagne toast, and it's party time. Green plants make nice centerpieces-and souvenirs, too! Put each in a gold pot cover which a florist can order for you or you can get at a floral supply store. Balloons can be tied to a pick and stuck into the plant pot. Pictures of your parents from all stages of their lives blown up and posted on walls, or made into a collage and foto-copied into placemats would be cool. And, if you are indoors, sprinkle tables with gold mylar confetti and gold wrapped Hershey's kisses!
By Linda (Guest Post)
50th Anniversary Ideas? 03/29/2005
We did my parents 50th anniversary last year. They wanted just family so I don't really have any party suggestions. The 'gift' we gave them was a big hit. I came up with a note that I sent to their friends (past and present) and siblings asking for memories/stories and/or pictures that they had of my parents. My parents had moved several times but I was able to find alot of addresses on the internet. Most people responded with a letter telling how much my parents meant to them, a funny story from the past or a photo from years ago. I wish I had asked each couple to send a photo of themselves also. We put together a scrapbook and my parents really enjoyed it. You probably need to send the note 2 months before the anniversary. Mention that it's a secret until after the anniversary date. Also, President Bush will send an anniversary greeting to your parents. You can google 'the White House' and find their home page. You have to request this about 6-8 weeks before the anniversary. My dad loved the card they sent.
By Ann4 (Guest Post)
50th Anniversary Ideas? 03/29/2005
Sloppy joes sounds a little messy. We like to serve up the St. Louis favorite "wedding" food, moscacholli with a Rich and Charlies Salad and french bread. Goes a long way and is a big favorite.
By Kathy (Guest Post)
50th Anniversary Ideas? 04/03/2005
My mom and Dad did not want a big blowout for their 50th so we respected their wishes.But actually,not a lot make it to celebrate 50 years. It is a BIG ACCOMPLISHMENT. By working yogether, the family can do food within a budget.I recommend: meatballs in bbq sauce/grapejelly mixed in, Sausage balls, a Large cheeseball and mixed crackers ,make your own fruit and veggie trays . You can cut up your own and get two plus refills for the price of store bought ones . Dollar Trees sell the large trays and lids. Fruit dip is made from cream cheese and marshmallow cream and everybody knows how to make ranch dip. For table decorations run a wide satin ribbon down the center of the table. Gold would be pretty.Use small fishbowl centerpieces filled halfway with water with cut flowers floating inside (yellow mums are pretty AND cheap. Set a flared out votive cup on the inside ledge above the water and light a yellow or gold votive candle.Sprinkle gold confetti. Makes a pretty table and a fortune saved on tablecloths. Another nice decoration is pictures in inexpensive frame sitting on the table (of wedding photos, important life events). Trust me if you watch your Ps andQs you can pull off an event for several as cheaply as a family get together. GOOD LUCK Hope I've been helpful. - Sharon, KY
By ThriftyFun
50th Anniversary Ideas? 04/12/2005
I think it would be fun to dig up some popular recipes from 50 years ago, and serve those. You will be amazed what you can find on line, like a 1950's Betty Crocker cookbook---or ask friends who recall that era for recipes and get together a group of friends to help you cook them. Picnics are wonderful that time of year, and a park pavilion will be both inexpensive and hold lots of people. It can be decorated with crepe paper streamers, and you could have a little table with a wedding photo, maybe some personal memorabilia, or other things from that era. Find a little blank paged book- you can find at Dollar Tree! - and have everyone write a memory they have of the couple in it. You can check out old cassettes from the library to play for background music.(Try and find out what songs they liked, particularly if they have "their song", what they danced their first dance to at their wedding, etc)

Have fun!

By Pari (Guest Post)
Archived Request: 50th Anniversary Ideas? 04/14/2005
I am in charge of a 50th anniversary and I need ideas for food, sloppy joes, etc. I also need some decorative ideas. And of course we are on a budget. This happens in June. Thanks so much,

Joyce from Missouri

By ThriftyFun
50th Anniversary Ideas? 04/15/2005
You and your family should get together and make them a scrapbook. You can put old pictures in it....old recipe of the times...old movie titles, etc and you can all sign it and write them a nice message to go with it. Kind of a nice keepsake album they always look back on and just present to them at dinner one night. Something like that would be cheaper and more meaningful to them I am sure.
By ejgiles77
50th Anniversary Ideas? 04/16/2005
Write to the White House and request a 50th anniversary greeting to be mailed to your parents. The White House sends out anniversary greetings to couples who have been married 50 years or more. Here is the url for more information:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/greeting/

By Las Vegas Angel
50th Anniversary Ideas? 04/21/2005
For my parents 40th anniversary, I put together a slide show. I went through all their pictures from the time they were babies, dating, married, first house, kids, etc to present and had them made into slides. I then wrote a story to narrate the pictures full of little tidbits many people did'nt know about them. It was the hit of the party and since we have the slide show on video, they can watch it again and again.
By kathy (Guest Post)
50th Anniversary Ideas? 03/17/2006
We are making a memory album. We have asked all the cousins and Aunts and Uncles to write down their favorite memories and send pictures from all the family get togethers over the years. We made one for an Aunt and Uncle for their 40th and everyone loved it. My aunt cried.....
By Judy (Guest Post)
50th Anniversary Ideas? 05/31/2006
Look into renting a pavillion in your parents local park, enclosed of course. Set up picnic style and let friends and family come throughout the day to visit your parents. Your GFS store or Sams club is good at large quantities at a good price. Our local store even does fried chicken at a very reasonable price. this is what we are doing and have used the park before for my daughters 16th birthday party and it went very well. Best of luck and happy anniversary to your parent(
By (Guest Post)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Holidays and Parties Parties AnniversaryAugust 6, 2009
50th Anniversary Gift Box
50th Anniversary Gift Ideas
50th Wedding Anniversary Party
50th Wedding Anniversary Party Ideas
50th Anniversary Centerpiece
50th Anniversary Centerpiece Ideas
Party Balloons
Surprise 50th Birthday Party Ideas
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 10, 2016 at 10:12:43 PM on 10.0.2.45 in 962 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.