50th Wedding Anniversary Party Ideas

Category Anniversary
A 50th anniversary is a very special event, so you will want to plan a memorable party. This is a page about 50th wedding anniversary party ideas.

Here's a great idea that costs nothing and is a great conversation piece for a 50th wedding anniversary party. Make a montage display of the wedding. Include your Mom's wedding dress, treasured original wedding gifts, music from that year, and even a bulletin board that you help them put together of their special milestones.

By kwbren from Yucxaipa, CA

My in-laws are having a 50th anniversary and we are all scattered regionally. Other siblings are not able to help financially very much so I need ideas as I don't want them forgotten. This creates a lot of expense for us (read that as a lot falling on me). I'd really like to do something nice for them, have thought of a cruise, or something else. Any ideas would be appreciated.

MC

Answers

Best Answer

a friend of mine was having a baby and all her family was scattered..i called them secretely and had them send their gifts to me..i held a baby shower for her and she was able to open up her family's gifts...

you could do the same

if you cant get the whole family together, maybe they can send you their gift or gifts then you can present them their gifts at the restaurant..you can make an anniversary cake similar to their wedding cake

if no one is in the same town as they are, maybe you could have a video made//send one tape to one person they video tape a message and show their wrapped gift; then send the video on to the next person and so on until you get it back with all the gifts then send it on to them.

hope this gives you ideas!!!

By Allison (Guest Post)
Best Answer

My friend made a nice scrapbook for her parents for their 20th anniversary. It included letters and pictures from scattered friends and family. The pictures kind of told the story of their 20 years of marriage.

My parents will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. I'm an only child and my mom's large family is expecting a party. I'm looking for ideas that won't break the bank (since I have no one to share expenses with) and satisfy everyone. Please help!

By Jody from Midwest

Answers

A picnic, a pot luck party (people bring food), backyard party, comes to mind. People don't mind "helping out" these days, they know things are expensive.

Pictures of them make nice decorations and aren't terribly expensive to use as decorations, especially if you just use ones they already have. Pictures from all through the years is nice.

Flowers from someone's garden or yards are free. Borrow pot plants or use pot plants you have. A grouping of potted plants looks great.

You can get inspiration as well as actual "party" goods at thrift stores, garage sales, etc. (and it's fun to "hunt and find"). A grouping of small candles, or tea lights in cheap, small, pretty glasses, jars or vintage saucers (mix & match looks great).....make great decorations. Look around your house, their or friends... for things already possessed...nice table cloths, fake flowers, glasses, urns, punch bowls, serving dishes, to borrow. We tend to think you have to go out and buy everything "new" and perfectly matched, but you don't.

If you buy the food, do it yourself. Make your own dips and veggie trays. Catering is terribly expensive. You can come out way cheaper making the food yourself. You can "borrow" friends refrigerators, your church, maybe. Heck, even a couple of coolers and some dry ice might do the trick to store to food until party time! If you serve liquor, keep it to punch bowl type or one or two types of drinks only and don't think everybody has to have 6 drinks total, you can help them with moderation by just providing minimal liquor.

Check your own music stash for music to play. (A CD player hidden works just fine). You can borrow music from others or the library. If you know someone who plays guitar or can sing, maybe they can provide a couple of songs for entertainment.

We played games at my Dad's 80th BD party. People got a real bang out of it. One of the games I came up with was questions ---"info" about him. What is his favorite pie? What was his childhood nickname? (try to think of some questions that are challenging.) We gave prizes (gift cards mainly), but they don't have to be much, or you could find small (new) gifts at thrift stores, or not even give gifts at all (offer a "dance" with Dad or something).

I gave a baby shower at my house once in which I used mostly items I already had (including the grouped candle thing with fake pot plants on the serving table). A very wealthy woman (boss of the baby's father) came to the party and told me as she left that it was the nicest baby shower she had ever been to.. and I am sure with her wealth and socializing, she'd been to plenty, so it's not all about "cost"-- it is more about making it festive, filled with love, creative, that counts the most towards having a really fabulous and memorable party.

First, make sure your parents actually want a big party. It's their anniversary, and it should be up to them as to how they want to celebrate it. And as for those family members "expecting" a big party, have them help!

Tell those family members to plan and pay for the party and you'll chip in, but not the other way around! No way!

You could make it an open house and just serve hors d'ouvoures like small finger sandwiches, relishes, etc.
You could have it be an afternoon thing from 2-4pm so no one should be expecting a meal. Just serve cake and bar cookies and beverages.

You could ask your parents to pitch in, say like for all beverages. You could plan a picnic or potluck and ask relatives to bring a salad, you provide the meat choice and buns, and cake. I don't suggest asking relatives to just bring anything or else you might end up with a lot of chips and dessert and little else. I just held a farewell picnic where we furnished meat and buns and chips. Boy were the rest of the attendees skimpy about what they brought , except for the lady who made the cake. So tell people what you would like them to bring.

If they have been together that long, they are bound to have long time social connections; church, Sunday School class,senior citizens' center group,etc. Contact these people and let them get involved . They will love it!
Then get a few cans of high quality gold metallic spray paint,odds and ends from yard sales,and spray away!
A cute centerpiece would be some of the huge" brandy glass bowls", with gold taper candles heated and stuck to the bottom securely, then pretty gold glass rocks,then a gold flower or two,add water and two goldfish per bowl! (Keep the waterline well below the candle, of course.) Add a few flowers and rocks scattered on the table at the base of the brandy glass vase. Total cost for a centerpiece,probably less than 15 dollars,and one stop at a Walmart Supercenter. They have the huge brandy glasses for ten dollars. I just bought one. The glass shiny rocks are about 1.50 a bag,and goldfish are about 35 cents!
This is what it looks like, but this is a male beta fish (also available at walmart, about 3.00). Just imagine this with lots of the gold rocks, gold lame' silk flowers, and a lit candle in the center!

We're having a fairly low-key 50th wedding anniversary Open House for my parents. About 40 people will be attending. I am looking for fun ideas as people mill around.

Thanks!

By Jen from Los Angeles

I am trying to make a program for our celebration. We are renewing our vows and having dinner and a few other things. Is it better to eat first or renew vows or? What is the order of a program for our 50th wedding anniversary celebration?

By Yvonne from St. Louis, MO

Looking for help with 50th anniversary ideas.

By denise from Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Answers

I don't know if you mean for a party or for a gift. Mu suggestion is for a gift, it is what I did for my brothers 50th wedding anniversary. I got 50 silver dollars from the bank. I was shopping at a dollar store and just happened to find gold foil, a gold gift bag, and gold "Easter" grass. I cut up the foil and wrapped each coin seperately, taping each one shut. then I alternated a little grass and a coin or two in the bag. To open their present, they had to find the coins, and then unwrap, and count to make sure they didn't miss any. My brother knows I am kinda weird anyway, so was not surprized with my idea.

Google "fake newspapers" and you will come up with a slew of them. You can make a newspaper that will be stories and photos of the couple. But, keep in mind to order two, so they can frame either side of the newspaper if they choose. It's great for a gift and for a party!!

Dear friends who were celebrating their 50th anniversary didn't want a party or any kind of big deal event. Since they are both cancer survivors, I made a $50.00 contribution to the American Cancer Society in their name. It was the best choice I could have made!

I recently attended the 50th Anniversary party of a couple that was so wonderful. Their kids got a bunch of old/new pictures from the family album and used Smiling Snaps to compile them into a choreographed DVD show depicting their life together. It was perfectly synchronized to music and because it was professionally made, the results were awesome! It was so touching, the couple as well as many guests got emotional while watching those moments come alive on the screen!

We need tips for our 50th wedding anniversary. Perhaps a nice getaway or bed and breakfast, but something that is really special.

By betty from San Bernardino, CA

Answers

What sort of things do you like to do together? My thought, if I were to have a 50th anniversary, would be to stay at Disneyland or Disneyworld hotel for a couple of days or more and be like kids again adventuring together at the Disney park ;-) Wouldn't need to do any driving (take the monorail), lots of restaurants and a swimming pool, gift shops and be with lots of people having fun :-)

And, hey, you're not far from Disneyland so you wouldn't even have to book a flight ;-)

Where was your first honeymoon? Could you go there again?

My grandparents never had a first honeymoon; when they had their 40th anniversary, my grandfather took Nana to Niagara Falls--where she'd dreamed of going but they never had gone--for one reason or another, with day-to-day life getting in the way until then.

He wasn't the romantic type,and this really floored her. Is there someplace your hubby has always wanted to go ( that you could live with for this special anniversary?) Congratulations on your 50th--quite an accomplishment!

You don't say if money is an object, so let's just assume you don't want to spend too much. Are you still in touch with the couple who knew you when..? If so, invite them to join you for dinner. You pick up the tab. If you aren't close to them perhaps you can invite other couples who have been married for 5, 10, 20, etc. years and they can join you for dinner. It will make for interesting conversation for sure. Ask people to recall when they first met, bring photo, etc.

We are having an anniversary party at a buffet. We will not be paying for the meals. We have the room so we can all be together. What is the best way to word this on the invitation?

By Yvonne Shaffer

My husband and I will celebrate 50 years of marriage next December 18, 2016, and we are considering renewing our vows. We are both retired and on a fixed income. Would it be possible in today's economy to do everything for $300? We'd like to keep it simple; we are both avid hunters and would like a camouflage theme.

I'd love to find a camouflage semi-formal maybe. And my husband could wear a camouflage vest and tie. Maybe with boots! I have 2 grown granddaughters. One is a culinary arts graduate and the other is a very creative and talented homemaker; both have agreed to help. They just need some ideas on food and decor on a "shoe string" budget! Any suggestions?

I am planning a 50th anniversary party at a church, in the afternoon. We will be serving appetizers. Should we have punch, or tea, coffee, and lemonade.

By Bobbie from Belleville, IL

We are celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. We would like to give our 150 guests a gift. We need some ideas.

By Leo C.

My cousin and I (the granddaughters) were chosen to help plan the party. It is going to be a surprise. We are 13 years old. What should we do?

By Laurel D.

Plan an exotic wedding anniversary party by honoring a different culture's traditions. Here, a traditional Tahitian wedding is recreated, including colorful dancers.

A Tahitian style wedding anniversary celebration.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

My parents will be celebrating their 50th anniversary on 7/2/2005. I am planning on having a 2pm-5pm "event" with finger foods, cake, and punch. I can't seem to find any information on this type event. All that I've been able to find involves dinner, toasts, etc. Is a come and go not appropriate? What is it called? (celebration/reception?)

Sonya

Answers:

50th Anniversary Advice

This is exactly the type of party we gave our parents on their 50th anniversary. We called it an Open House, but recently I've seen the term Come and Go. I'm guessing they are the same thing.

Our party was very informal, with cake and punch.

Good luck and have fun! (04/22/2005)

By Jean Christian

50th Anniversary Advice

In the South we call that kind of event a "Tea". We have a lot of Bridal Teas after church on Sunday from 2 till 4. This enables everyone to come when they can and not feel like they have to stay the entire time. Also, at Teas the gifts are opened and displayed as they are brought in. One of the party planners opens the gifts so the Guest of Honor can mingle with her guests. Works well for us, and I'm sure you could do the same for an anniversary celebration. (04/22/2005)

By Ronda

50th Anniversary Advice

This type of party is great. You can call it an "Honor Celebration" for a long and successful marriage. Which by the way is becoming all too rare. Congrats to them! Since your parents have been married 50 years they are unlikely to be in "need" of anything, so perhaps you might suggest something like "We request your presence not your presents", or if you should choose you might let each guest bring their favorite written story of their encounter with your parents. They can read these and smile for years to come. You could obtain some of these before the party and make a scrap book for them and add to it as guests arrive. I bet they will cherish this forever. (04/22/2005)

By Connie H.

50th Anniversary Advice

Word the invitation: Jane, John and Jack Doe(ex.) invite you to join us as we celebrate our parents' 50th Wedding Anniversary with an "Open House" from 2:00- 4:00 pm. on Saturday July 15th. No gifts, please. Actually no one expects a big "sit down dinner" for an anniversary open house. (04/23/2005)

50th Anniversary Advice

My aunt and uncle are celebrating their golden anniversary July 9th. It just so happens that our family reunion is on the 10th, so we made that the theme this year. We always do a big BBQ at a local park, I'll just change the decorations and make a big cake. (06/18/2005)

By Maudie

50th Anniversary Advice

I'd call it a celebration with hors d'oeuvre.s

Sample invitation wording:

50 Golden Years!

Please join us for an afternoon of:
Hors d'oeuves
as our (my) parents (name) celebrate their 50th Wedding Anniversary
date
time
Given by: you and siblings names
RSVP: name and or number

My brothers and I are planning now for a July 2006 50th Golden Anniversary, too.

Good luck and have fun.
(06/22/2005)

By Geffen

50th Anniversary Advice

Asking for "no gifts" on an invitation is tacky, and doesn't work, anyway.

(01/25/2007)

By Carrie

Load More

Holidays and Parties Parties AnniversaryFebruary 17, 2013
🌻
😷
🐛
😎
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf777353.tip.html