Using Faux Stainless Paint for a Range Hood

Over the past two years we have been gradually replacing old appliances in our kitchen. All of them have been replaced except for the range hood. We want to have the cabinets redesigned to hold a microwave and it is going to be expensive.

The beige rusting range hood was looking rough and I just could not take it anymore. I did research to see what other people had done and decided to give it a whirl. I bought a 4 oz. can of Rustoleum Silver Metallic paint and two sponge brushes. I really only needed 1 - 2 oz. to do this project.

Lightly sand the range hood. This will not take more than 3 minutes. Clean it with your regular household cleaner, rinse and make sure it is dry.

Tape off everything and use drop cloths!

Since my hood was beige I painted a base coat of gray latex paint that I had already, but later realized I could have easily skipped this step. Allow the paint to dry.

Follow the cans directions and paint a coat of metallic paint on using long straight strokes.

Let dry for 30 minutes and then use the same brush without adding paint to it to make light X's all over the range hood. This will help get rid of brush marks that make it look very DIY. The X's actually make it look more realistic.

After drying anywhere from a few hours to overnight, apply a top clear coat to make it shine like stainless steel. Enjoy.

By Amy from Greenville, SC

Would this technique work for a refrigerator?

Do you have a picture?

Yes, please share picture. And I must add a huge word of caution! ;-( I ended up in the hospital for three days on April 1st and diagnosed with COPD Please, please, please do work of this sort with a mask and in a well ventilated area! Years of many home projects, strong cleaning supplies and chemicals from doing hair for over three decades have caused irreparable damage :-(

vintage range
Painting Appliances
Crafts Home Decor KitchenApril 15, 2009
White fake cake of boxes and bows
Faux Wedding Cake Ideas
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean
Painting a Refrigerator
Painting a Refrigerator
Range Hood Filter
Cleaning a Range Hood Filter