Cleaning a Range Hood Filter

Category Appliances
The filter on your range hood can quickly become covered in grease. This is a guide about cleaning a range hood filter.

I have an over the hotplate range hood. I clean the grill regularly, but happened to read something about a filter that needs cleaning, as well. I can't see it. Could someone please advise me on this? I love this site and hope you can help.

Fieke from Queensland, Australia

Answers

Anonymous

If you look up under the hood you should see mesh (usually silver). You'll see a clip that turns side to side attached to it. Turn the clip and the filter will pop out. Just clean it in warm, soapy water, rinse well, allow to dry and place it back in the hood :-) I have lived in a couple of homes/apartments where there wasn't a filter, why I don't know, so don't freak out if it doesn't have one ;-)

If you have a 99 cent store they have this product called Awsome Orange degreaser. I have a cleaning business and have tried everything including old fashion hot soap and water but nothing worked.

Fill up your sink with all hot water and add 1/4 cup of the degreaser which in the 1/2 gallon bottle it is concentrated, then pop in the screen. It works just like the silver tarnish remover works on stemware!

Greatest product ever!

The best thing I have found is automotive degreaser spray I prefer Gunk brand, take the filters outside then spray entire surface of filter and let it soak for 30 min. then rinse with water, I always run mine through the dishwasher to remove any residue from the degreaser.