Cleaning the Filter Screen in a Dishwasher?

0
Share
Pin
Save
Follow
Print

I used to work in a machine shop and we used a powerful solvent to clean grease off of metal before we would work with it. It worked incredibly well. I was wondering if something like this could be used to clean the grease off of a plastic dishwasher filter.

Nothing else I have tried works. I'm wondering if the solvent would melt the plastic.

Answers

I would use Blue Dawn and rinse the part very well before I put it back in the dishwasher. You dont want the dishwasher to oversuds.

I really believe it would be too strong as my son uses a product like that and it states on the side panel - do not use on plastic.

I do not know what brand you have and each one seems to have a different type of filter, so just as a general rule most can be removed for a once a month or so cleaning.

Caution: Use only one product solution at a time and thoroughly rinse between cleanings.

If it is removable, then blue Dawn in hot water should remove the grease/gunk. I would not try using a soap product inside the dishwasher as suds may present a new problem.
You can also try a little lemon ammonia in water but that has to be used in a ventilated area and preferably wearing gloves.

Here are a couple of links that have several different suggestions and has information for different brand (maybe yours is listed).

www.reviewed.com/.../why-you-need-to-clean-the-filter...

www.reviewed.com/.../how-to-clean-your-filthy-dishwasher

Answer this Question

2 More Questions

I have small, sand like particles of food all over my dishes when I remove them from the dishwasher; I have a GE Nautilus. How can I clean out the screen in the bottom of the unit? I don't have the book that goes with the dishwasher, as we bought this house with the dishwasher in it, and the former owner didn't leave it. Thanks.

By Ginny from Murrells Inlet, SC

Answers

My question is if you rinse the food off of your dishes before putting them in the dishwasher? If not, you need to know that a dish washer is a soap clean sanitizer and not food remover.

If you do rinse the food off of the plates before loading the dishwasher here is the GE service and support info:

GE Answer Center®
1-800-626-2005
Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 10 p.m. ET
Saturday: 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. ET
Closed Sunday.

If you search the internet you may be able to find a copy of the book that goes with the dishwasher. Also I was told by a maytag repairman that dishwasher detergent has a shelf life and will expire if its old. He also said that the liquid soap is better than the powder. Hope this helps.

Answer this Question

How do you clean the filter in the dishwasher?

By susan from Ninety Six, SC

Answers

Anonymous

Here is a video called 'How to Clean a Removable Dishwasher Filter'. Keep in mind that all dishwashers are not the same, and that on some dishwashers you have to remove a couple of screws in order to remove the filter.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=csRiKqV8Y64

Answer this Question
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesApril 27, 2013
👔
🌻
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cleaning-the-Filter-Screen-in-a-Dishwasher-1.html