Painting Appliances

You can paint an appliance either to repair damage to the finish or to change your kitchen's decor. This is a guide about painting appliances.

Over the past two years we have been gradually replacing old appliances in our kitchen. All of them have been replaced except for the range hood. We want to have the cabinets redesigned to hold a microwave and it is going to be expensive.

The beige rusting range hood was looking rough and I just could not take it anymore. I did research to see what other people had done and decided to give it a whirl. I bought a 4 oz. can of Rustoleum Silver Metallic paint and two sponge brushes. I really only needed 1 - 2 oz. to do this project.

Lightly sand the range hood. This will not take more than 3 minutes. Clean it with your regular household cleaner, rinse and make sure it is dry.

Tape off everything and use drop cloths!

Since my hood was beige I painted a base coat of gray latex paint that I had already, but later realized I could have easily skipped this step. Allow the paint to dry.

Follow the cans directions and paint a coat of metallic paint on using long straight strokes.

Let dry for 30 minutes and then use the same brush without adding paint to it to make light X's all over the range hood. This will help get rid of brush marks that make it look very DIY. The X's actually make it look more realistic.

After drying anywhere from a few hours to overnight, apply a top clear coat to make it shine like stainless steel. Enjoy.

By Amy from Greenville, SC

Sometimes remodeling involves changing the color of your refrigerator. This guide is about painting a refrigerator.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about painting metal shelves in a refrigerator. Over time the shelves in you fridge can become discolored and unattractive. One way to spruce them up is to paint them.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

We spray painted the inside of a chest freezer we bought at a yard sale, due to rust. Now our food tastes like spray paint. Is it safe to eat? How do I get rid of the smell and taste?

By Donna

Answers

Anonymous

personally I would never have bought this...but you can try washing it out with baking soda....some paints are toxic ask where you bought your paint they may have the answer to "is it safe to eat the food in it"