Saving Money on Home Appliances

The retail price of new appliances can be more than you can afford. Often times there are slightly damaged or used appliances that will be just what you need. This is a guide about saving money on home appliances.

Decide what features are must-haves. The dryer pictured was only $299. I gave up the bell that rang when the clothes were dry, because the cheapest model with that feature was $200 more.

On the other hand, I had a dishwasher that had a valve malfunction and caused damage to my kitchen floor. I was willing to pay more for a machine that would stop itself and drain if this happened.

Before you purchase an item, do your research. Check the consumer ratings, price compare from store to store, and take into consideration what it will cost you over time to use that item. Several times I have paid more upfront for an appliance as it will save me money over time compared to a less expensive version.

I paid an extra $300 to get a front loading washer, over the top loading model. The front loading model I got uses 8 gallons of water per heavy duty load. The top loading model uses 54 gallons of water for that same heavy duty load. I compared the difference in price of the two models to the price per cubic foot of water and found that within 1 years time, doing the volume of laundry that I do the front loading washer would pay for itself. All the years I have had it since then, it has been saving me money. The proof was in the water bills. With my old top loading washer, my water bills were around $140 per month. Now they are around $40 a month.

When I got my new scanner/printer/fax machine, I compared the prices of the refill inks. I found that the cheaper model ink refills costs almost half as much more per cartridge than the next model up. So, I got the higher priced one and I pay less for my ink cartridge refills.

My vacuum cleaner is another such example. The model I have does not use a bag and does not use a belt. I empty the canister and never have to replace a broken belt. I have had it for 11 years now, so saved quite a bit of money on bags and belts. Prior to this vacuum, I had one that used both bags and belts. Even then I tried to save by reusing the bags, but they would only hold up for about 3 uses. Another advantage to a canister vacuum cleaner is the number of lost items I find in it when I empty it out (normally into my compost). I have found coins, ear rings, numerous legos and barbie shoes, marbles, game pieces and more.

Buying new appliances is an expensive proposition. Here are some tips for saving money on appliances from the ThriftyFun community.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This was in the Dallas Morning News. The idea being that if your appliance is older than the age posted, start saving up for a new one or expecting breakdowns. A friend quoted to me something about "if an appliance repair is over $150, buy another one".

Upgrading seems to be the latest catchword when replacing appliances. Do so with caution as all the major appliances are coming out of China.

They are not of the quality as when US made. My appliance repairman will vouch for that as he's busier than ever now.

This weekend, my old dryer stopped working. After checking prices at the big box stores, my husband went onto Craigslist to see if there was anything available. He found some great deals and we got a replacement dryer from someone in our neighborhood for $25!

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

You may be able to save quite a bit of money by purchasing your next appliance at a scratch and dent store. Check online to find one locally. Department and big box stores also sometimes have floor models and returned appliances being sold at a discount.

This is a guide about finding scratch and dent appliance stores.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about buying second hand appliances. One way to save money on expensive home appliances is to shop for second hand ones in good repair.

Is anyone else having to replace new(er) appliances more quickly than they expected? When we built our new home six years ago, we bought all new name-brand appliances except for the stove. They are not lasting! So far, I have had to replace the microwave, my beloved self-cleaning gas stove (8 years old), the dishwasher and now the water softener. The answer I have received to my question of why is that these appliances are now made with circuit boards and they are much more expensive to repair than replace.

Are we that much of a disposable society or am I just choosing the wrong brands? I am beginning to think that those who hang onto their appliances manufactured 15 years ago or longer are going to be real winners in this arena.

Ronsan from Southwest Missouri

Answers

By (Guest Post)

I have had to replace a few of my appliances after 10 years and was told that was good for the way they are made today. Six years seems a little short for name brand. However, I was also told, yes it is a disposable world. My dishwasher is about 6 years old and one day all the lights were on on the front panel. I couldn't get it to do anything. After reading the manual and almost unloading and doing them by hand, I happened to see in the manual "if they have to come out for a circuit breaker, there would be a service charge".

My husband said it wouldn't be a breaker as all the lights were on, but I went down and flipped the switch back and forth anyway and it worked. I think the memory in the board was confused and didn't know what to do. Works great. Had I not seen that, I would have called a repair man (or bought a new one) and who knows how many dollars it would have cost me. I have a refrigerator downstairs that must be 55 years old. It is probably the reason my electric bill is higher, but it works like a charm. They don't make them like that anymore!

By Dean (Guest Post)

Yes,appliances do not last as long.They call it built in obsolescence.Keeps people working.I have had to toss some appliances because the circuit board was cooked.Either the part was no longer made or it could'nt be repaired.Here is a list of the life of most appliances.The first figure is low,second is high and the last is average life.
Life Expectancy (Years)
Low High Average
Microwaves
5
10
8

Ranges, electric
13
20
16

Ranges, gas
15
23
19

Ranges, hoods
9
19
14

Refrigerators, compact
4
12
8

Refrigerators, standard
10
18
14

Water heaters, electric
6
21
14

Water heaters, gas
5
13
9

Washers
8
16
12

Dryers, electric
11
18
14

Dryers, gas
11
16
13

Dishwashers
9
16
12

Food waste disposers
10
15
13

Freezers
12
20
16

Compactors
7
12
11

By Ronsan (Guest Post)

Thank you very much for this information! I had no idea but will save that information for the future. It would indeed seem that part of the problem, according to the figures supplied, is the name brand I chose ~ the repairman who initially serviced this line of appliances said that almost all major appliances are now manufactured by only two companies in the US, and that the particular company I selected is reknown for offering an unbeatable "bundling" price (meaning that the more you buy of this one line at the same time, the better the overall price) but that unfortunately when it comes to repairs, they are the most expensive in the industry. I have learned my lesson!

By (Guest Post)

I was told the reason is the obvious. You have to keep replacing them.
Christine IN.

Your only problem is actually using these appliances! If I get more than 4 years out of a dishwasher it is breaking a record.

My uncle, an engineer, said to get the appliance on the low end of the spectrum as it has less parts to break. So far he has had good luck.

By (Guest Post)

also the replacments parts are not good. we have a ge stove about 6-8 years old the handle went . We ordered a replacment which cost a lot. the replacement did not last more then a month and half. this happened 3 times we decided to have a no handel door.

By gleeglee56@ sbcglobal.net (no spaces) (Guest Post)

I totally agree with you. I have been in my house for five years and have replaced: the dishwasher, the dryer, the washing machine, and the microwave. It is really sad that it is less expensive to replace than to repair.

I bought my first refridgerator in the '70s. It lasted 18 years. The second lasted 7 years. The third one 5 years. Oh, for a large old-fashioned larder! Marg from England

Built in obsolescence is the answer. And cost or brand have no bearing. I bought a Jenn Air almost 5 years ago at a cost of $2,000. My 3rd Jenn Air and my last. The mother board has been replaced FIVE times already. And when discussing this with customer service, it's "oh well, sorry you are having such trouble" etc. For the same cost I would have been better off purchasing 4 cheap and having stoves for 20 years.