FruitFood Tips

Using Pears That Fell Off the Tree

What can I do with pears that have fallen from the tree too early? Will they ripen, if so how do I do it? Can I cook them?

Betty from Texas

If they are close to the size of a ripe pear, sit them on the counter, they will be ripe in a few days. Or you can place them in a bag with either an apple or banana (I can't remember which one) that should help. If they are really small then they won't have had enough time for the fruit to develop even close to being ripe, I don't think they would be edible, but then you never know!

We used to add pears to our homemade applesauce, or you can just make pearsauce itself. Many people use pears in desserts, the possibilities are out there, try a search on the internet, I am sure you'll be busy reading recipes for days! Good luck!

Having spent my first 20 years living surrounded by pears & apple orchards. As kids, Mom would send my brother and I out to pick up the wind fall pears and put them in the cellar, she would can them as they got ripe. Pears were always picked green and then packed, sent to the groceries stores. They would be almost ripe by the time they got to the market..