Garden: Terracotta Chimney Flue Tiles

Our patio area is only 16 feet by 8 feet. Our climate is hot and dry in the summer but we only get about four hours of direct sun and some areas get less than that. I wanted colorful shade loving plants that require very little care. We used terracotta chimney flue tiles for containers, which are available at major nurseries and construction supply stores. Coleus, impatiens, vincas and herbs filled the bill. The trellised plant is a clematis and the tree in the upper right is a California bay laurel.

Source: Sunset Western garden book for the chimney flue tiles idea.

By fletchypoo from San Jose, CA

Very good idea, thanks for sharing, good luck.

Absolutely a wonderful idea. Just starting a small courtyard area and have been looking for ideas. Thank You so much! L

Great Idea! Thanks for sharing. I have several places that are very rocky and I can't get plants to grow. This just may be the answer, as I can dig down deep enough to bury the flu and make them level, or stagger them at different levels.

Can you tell me where you got the chimney flues in the San Jose area?

Thanks so much!

Photos GardenApril 9, 2009
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Terracotta Pots
Making a Terracotta Pot Candle Heater
Ceramic Floor Tile
Fixing Cracks in Ceramic Floor Tile
Brick Chimney
Saving Money on Chimney Cleaning
🎉
🎄