Replacing Paneling With Sheetrock

I want to remove wall paneling that does not have drywall behind it. When I go back to the sheetrock will I have to have all new door and window frames? What about the electrical boxes, will they still fit?

Donna from El Campo, Texas

To replace the wood paneling with sheet rock you will have to remove the molding around the doors,windows and floor borders. If you are careful in removing the moldings with out damage you can reuse them over the molding. As for the electrical boxs you have to cut a opening the same size as the electrical box in the sheet rock. There are several ways to do this.

My explanation maybe confusing. If you plan on doing this yourself I suggest you visit the sheet rock department of either Home Depot or Lowe's where they can explain how to do this. Also they can explain how to tape and mud the joints. If you have never done this before you may want to hire a handyman to do this. Get a price estimate first and don't pay for the job in full. Pay some down and the rest on completion.

Why don't you just paint the paneling.

I suggest you paint it or put sheet rock over the paneling. It will make good insulation, save on heating & cooling, good luck.

Not sure if you're still considering this project. Harry is absolutely right. We did a similar project once (bye-bye 1973 wood paneling!), and had to do just what Harry described regarding the molding and outlets/switches. We didn't use the old molding in the end though because it was old and plane.

There are nifty ways to make it easier when you go to measure/cut boxes, windows, etc. This site - - has a lot of good info about what to do. That, and mud work. It helped us get started for sure and simplified the processes. We didn't want to spend the money it would take to pay someone else you don't even know you can trust!

Home and Garden Home Improvement Dry WallJanuary 15, 2009
Wallpaper installed over wood paneling.
Wallpapering Over Wood Paneling
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
room with wallpaper
Updating Old Wood Paneling
Wood Paneling
Removing Water Stains from Barnwood Paneling