Use Tin Foil To Make Your Own Sewing Patterns

contest winner icon

A friend of mine knows someone who sews "Knock offs" - Dresses that look just like those worn at the Oscars made by designers. The trick is aluminum foil Yes! Plain old tin-foil.

I tried it and it works great! On a flat surface (like your kitchen table), lay out the garment you wish to copy, then simply take a piece of the foil and lay it over the part of the dress you want to copy, then take a soft cloth and rub it gently against the foil until you see where the seams are. Then cut out the piece of foil, then trace the foil on to a piece of paper, adding your seam allowances. Do this to each section of the dress and in no time you'll have all the pattern pieces to make any garment!

As far as the sewing directions? Well, you'll just have to figure THAT out for yourselves! Patterns cost way to much these days! So I've taken some of my favorite pieces of clothing and made my own patterns from them. I only make simple things like jackets without darts or collars or simple vests, but if you're an advanced seamstress, you could sew practically anything by using tin-foil to make your patterns! I'm sure you could make patterns for lampshades and many other crafts, even wood working, by using foil to copy your patterns

But, use care when rubbing foil over light colored fabrics, as you don't want to transfer the foil on to your fabric!

Source: A friend told me.

By Cyinda from near Seattle

Great idea! But I don't understand your last sentence. Would you please explain? Thanks.

Thanks! I just ordered a blouse that I liked and took it 1/2 apart to copy a pattern off and then sewed it back together. Wish I had known that last week. Will try it the next time.

I have used this method for years and it really does work. I don't make clothing with the method but do use it for things for my house.

This is good advice. I have an old summer shirt I love and have been meaning to try to make the pattern for it myself so that I can reproduce it. Thank you very much!

What I meant by the last sentience: "But, use care when rubbing foil over light colored fabrics, as you don't want to transfer the foil on to your fabric" was that the aluminum from the foil (that gray color) could actually "stain" your garment if your garment is a light shade.

Example: Have you ever lined a light colored bowl with foil, put food in it, then scraped the sides with a fork or other utensil? Well, if you have, you'll know that sometimes the foil will "transfer" a mark or a line (from the fork) on to the bowl... So rub softly & put the SHINY (not the dull) side of the foil next to the fabric... Of course, If the garment your making the pattern from is Navy, Black or a dark color, don't worry... But if it's white or light pink use a light hand... But remember, you're doing this on the BACK side of the garment anyway (so you can trace the seams)... SO you'll not have to worry about it very much anyway unless your garment is silk, transparent or of a super light weight, because even if you DO get foil on your garment, it'll be on the wrong side anyway...

* But not to worry, I doubt very much if you'll ever have this problem anyway, I was just trying to be on the safe side!

I have used this method to make patterns when I want to make a cushion, for instance to fit a chair. Never thought about using it for clothing. I never buy a pattern over $1.99. I wait till Hancocks or Joannes have their sale and then buy them up. Many times they are only $1.

Sewing Patterns
Making Your Own Sewing Patterns
Crafts SewingJanuary 30, 2008
pan lined with foil
Lining a Pan With Aluminum Foil
Southwestern Chicken Breasts
Foil Packet Recipes
roll of foil
Using Aluminum Foil and Plastic Wrap Correctly
Tin Can Frog
Tin Can Animal Crafts
🎉
🎄