Reviews of Electric Fireplaces

I was wanting to know if any of you have ever used an electric heater that looks like a stove/fireplace for heating a room or two? I was interested in getting one, but I wanted to check with you all first and see if it would be worth it. Thanks for any replies that I may receive.

Teresa from Richlands, VA

Two of my friends have one it's a really nice heat but I don't know if it will heat a large room.

By Linda

If you are talking about the "Amish" heaters that are being advertised, don't waste your money. These are nothing more than a decorative 1500w electric space heater. These heaters cost a couple hundred dollars for the same energy usage and heat provided by a standard 1500w space heater that you can buy for $100 or less. They are not "new" or special in any way.

If you want to use an electric space heater go ahead; but, these "Amish" heaters are actually made in China with the decorative wood "fireplace" being the only that is made in the US and they are definately overpriced.

Also, if you read the small print, to save on your enrgy bill, you have to let the rest of the house go without heat and "roll" the space heater around the house with you as you move from room to room! So, each time you want to go to a different room - you have to unplug the heater, roll it into a COLD room, plug it in, and WAIT for it to heat the room.

I have 2 gel fireplaces in my home. Love them, they are great to light and if I have to leave put a cover over the fire and off I go. I have had mine for 3 years and went to e-bay and spent $10.00 To find out i can use 70% alcohol from walmart. I use veg. Cans fill an inch from top and light. I have a 15x16 living room with an open doorway to kitchen and only use 2 cans and it gets quite toastie for 2 1/2 hours. Hope this helps.

They do quite run up the electric bill.

October 27, 2008 Flag

I am thinking I would like a fireplace in my bedroom and do not want a real wood burning one, nor is it feasible. Do any of you have a gel burning or electric fireplace in your home and what are your thoughts? Do the gel ones put out any heat? If you have an electric one, do you have a fan heater with it? How economical are either of these? Would you buy one again, or think it is a waste of money?

Thanks for your opinions!

PrairieLady from SD

Answers:

Reviews of Electric Fireplaces

Have you considered a gas fireplace. We have one in our familyroom and it is great! They also are putting fireplaces in RVs now, they run off propane. (02/21/2006)

By Campnluray

Reviews of Electric Fireplaces

I have been checking into a gel fireplace for a while now. Gas fireplaces are great if the lines have already been run. I want something a little more simple but electric fireplaces look really fake, not sure on efficiency. I've heard gel fireplaces look great just not sure on the amount of heat they give off. Also checking into homemade recipes for the fuel as it is somewhat expensive. (11/26/2007)

By Bill

Reviews of Electric Fireplaces

We looked at everything available in the Denver area and finally decided on a Dimplex electric stove. The Dimplex electric stoves and fireplaces are by far the most realistic ones we've seen. Plus, many people have commented about how real it looks. Now, every one that sees it wants one. Great electric stove. (09/28/2008)

By John

Home and Garden Home Improvement Fireplaces and StovesOctober 27, 2008
closeup of electric toothbrush
Using an Electric Toothbrush
Electric Stove Burner
Electric Stove Burners Not Working
Electric Blanket
Finding Replacement Cords and Controls for an Electric Blanket
Saving Money on Your Electric Bill, Money and Light Bulb on Top of Electric Bill
Saving Money on Your Electric Bill
🎄
🍂