Dyeing White Hair Salt and Pepper

I have all white hair and would really like to get it back to salt and pepper. I am 49 years old and it ages me. Has anybody ever done this? Thanks.

By Murph from Hanover, MA

Murph, white hair is beautiful and I am sure you keep it bright white with a special shampoo. Dyed white hair usually looks like it was dyed. I'd just be happy you have hair.

I would try the temp hair rinse from Sally's. If you like the look, you might want to use a permanent color. Talk with Sally's helpers. Good luck.

Could you get highlights of color on your white hair so it looks naturally colored and white mixed? If you try it, use temporary hair coloring, or go to a salon at least for the first time. You could also try streaking if the colors go with your coloring and eyebrows and lashes. Google how to streak hair or how to highlight hair for help if you want to do it at home.

I'm in a similar pickle. I'd go to a real, old fashioned hair salon with many years in business. The one I go to has stylists who have 30 years of experience with cut, color, etc. That's what I did - I'm 54. We're still working out a decision, but I wouldn't experiment on myself. White hair is hard to work with and I would not take a chance on any self coloring. My opinion. I can believe it ages you. It ages me. My hairdresser said that if I do keep gray hair, my makeup has to be really, really, natural.

I was in a similiar situation and grayed early. In my 40's I looked like 70 with gray hair. I decided to try color and had it done at my salon where I trust my hairdresser to come up with the right shade. After a few tries we came up with a pretty brown color that I call my "Hershey Chocolate" brown lol. I love it and feel so much younger with the improvement of color. I found the problem with gray hair also was that it wouldn't hold a perm. The only recommendation I have is to have a professional do it first. If you want to do it yourself later with the dyes available in the stores you will have a reference color to go with. You won't regret going with color.

It's called a reverse frosting/highlight. Have a professional do it and choose a warm dark brown which would look more natural than a black pepper.

Woman with White Hair
Caring for White Hair
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringMay 17, 2010
gray haired woman
Dyeing My Hair Gray
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink