Autumn Leaves Bookmark

With the fall leaves turning already, what better thing to make for the long winter reading list than this easy and fun bookmark!

Approximate Time: 1.5 hours

• crochet hook size 5
  • scissors
  • scraps of #10 cotton thread in green, yellow, orange, red, and brown

Instructions:

Before I get started, know this:

I make almost all of my projects in double thread and a larger hook. For this reason, my work will appear larger than yours, so don't go by the photo as much as the pattern. Also, I didn't have any orange so this will also alter the look of my bookmark.

Each leaf is about 1 and 5/8 inches wide and long. Your finished piece should be approximately 2.5 inches wide and 9.75 inches long.

For the first and all leaves

Ch. 7, sl st in seventh ch from hook to form ring.

Row 1: Ch 5, sc in second ch from hook and in each of next 3 chs: in ring work (1 sl st, 1 sc, 1hdc, 9dcs, 1 hdc, 1sc).

Row 2: Ch 1, turn: sk first st and sc in hdc: work (ch 1, 2 dcs in next dc, ch 1, sc in next dc) five times.

Row 3: Ch 1, turn: sc in ch-1 sp, ch 1, (dc in next dc, ch 1) twice, sc in next ch-1 sp, sc in sc: *ch 1, dc in next ch-1 sp, work (1 dc, 1 tr) in next dc, ch 1, work (1 tr, 1dc) in next dc, dc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, sc in next sc: rep from * two more times: sc in ch-1 sp, ch 1 (dc in next dc, ch 1) twice, sc in next ch-1 sp, sc in next sc, fasten off.

All Remaining Leaves:

With next color, ch 7, sl st in seventh ch from hook to form ring.

Row 1: Ch 5, sl st in top ch-1 space of previous leaf, sk first ch of new leave and sc in each of the next 4 chs, sl st in ring of new leaf: in same ring, work (1 sc, 1hdc, 9 dcs, 1 hdc, 1 sc).

Repeat rows 2 and 3 or previous leaf.

Make the next three leaves as above.

Edging:

Join border color of your choice (Note: I didn't like that the edging was the same color as the leaves, so I made mine blue).

Join on top of ch 1 sp on top leaf with a sc, ch 7, sc in next point of same leaf, ch 6, sc in next point of same leaf: (ch 6, sc in next point of new leaf, ch 6, sc in next point of same leaf) four times.

Ch 7, sc in end of stem, ch 7, sc in next point of same leaf, and continue as above to the joining point. Join with sl st.

Sl st in ch-7 sp, ch 2, work 7 scs in ch-7 sp: (ch 3 work 7 scs in nest ch-sp) around, ending with ch 3, sl st in first ch of beg ch-2.

Ch 4: *sk 3 scs, sc in next sc, ch 1, sk 3 scs, work (3 dcs, ch 2, 3 dcs) in next ch-3 sp, ch 1, rep from * nine more times, sk 3 scs, sc in next sc: in ch-3 sp, at end of stem, work (ch 1, dc) six times, ch 1, rep from * ten times: sc 3 scs, sc in next sc: in last ch-3 sp, work (ch 1, dc) five times, ch 1, sl st in third ch of beginning ch-4. Fasten off.

Note:

If you are a novice crocheter, this pattern might not be the place to begin. There are a lot of nice bookmark patterns that are basically just super short "mile a minute" patterns with easier to follow instructions.

Seasoned vets' will look at the pattern and be able to make it with out the instructions. I did, but I have been doing this for 52 years.

N-JOY!

By Sandi from Coos Bay, OR

This is beautiful!! I've never seen anything like it! Thank you so much for sharing the pattern!!! Happy stitching!

Crocheted Bookmark
Crocheted Bookmark Ideas
Crafts Crochet IdeasSeptember 28, 2010
Valentine's Day Bookmark
Valentine's Day Bookmark Ideas
A whimsical cow bookmark in black and white and pink with a rustic bow..
Bookmark Craft Ideas
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
finished butterfly
Making a Crochet Butterfly Bookmark
🎉
🎄