Garlic Bulbs Rotted

Why did my garlic rot in garden? I was told on this site to cut tops off garlic and it would make larger bulbs. I did and it rotted. Now I do not have any plants. I had about 20 plants last year they made bulbs about the size of grape fruits.

By kffrmw88 from Dothan, AL

Just cut the flowering tops off, not all the leaves. Plants use their leaves to transform sunlight into sugars, which in the case of garlic is stored in the bulbs for winter.

Regina in zone 3 who is seriously jealous of grape fruit sized garlic! lol

Thanks very much for the info on garlic. Here's picture of my large garlic, good luck.

I agree, do not cut the tops off. Some garlic gets a flower stem that will look like a twisted winding stem, that can be cut off but nothing else. Also cut down on watering the month before harvest,about once a week, garlic likes hot, sandy, well draining soil. I've been growing it in my raised beds for more than five years now, the best way to get bigger bulbs is to plant it in the fall like you would a tulip bulb. Here's my harvest this year.

Another picture. This is what they looked like at the end of May. There's about 60 bulbs in this 4x4 bed. I do rotate my crops so in the fall I will be using a different bed.

Home and Garden Gardening GrowingJuly 24, 2009
A hand holding an incandescent bulb.
Using Incandescent Bulbs
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent), A light bulb.
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent)
Garden Fork and Seedlings
Using Manure in the Garden
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 5:07:45 PM on 10.0.0.173 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.