Latex Paint Over Oil Based Primer

Can you use latex paint over oil based primer? If so, is there anything special that needs to be done to apply the latex color paint? Please respond quickly as I'm starting to paint the latex soon.

By redecorating from Mendon, MI

I have done it but if you are still unsure why not call your local paint store and ask the experts.

There are some people who say that this can be done, don't listen to them. Sure you can paint the latex over the oil based paint and it will look okay for a week or so. Then the first thing that bumps the wall will peel it up like a sheet of saran wrap. Been there, done that, don't ever plan to do it again!

Sometimes can put Latex over primer, this depends on the exact type of oil primer you use. Some primers (like B-I-N and Kilz) have what is called a "critical recoat time" - this means that they must be topcoated -with either latex or oil - within a certain time frame (usually 24 hours) or they become too hard for either type of top coat to adhere, too!

Read the URL below:

* I've read that you can put Latex over oil, but not Oil over Latex (which stretches), but after reading more on the internet I wouldn't risk it.

As Foxrun42 says call a paint store, NOT Home Depot, but a real paint store like Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore.

If its a good flat oil primer you will have no problem.

Latex Paint
Applying Latex Paint Over Oil Paint
Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingSeptember 5, 2009
Kilz Primer
Kilz Primer and Paint Reviews
Yellow Oil Paint
Using Oil Based Paint
Latex Gloves
Uses for Latex Gloves
couple painting
How Can You Tell if Paint is Oil or Latex?