Saving a Water Logged Cell Phone

Ever dropped your cell phone in a puddle, or worse, the toilet? If your cell takes an unexpected dunking, follow these steps to avoid a trip to the gadget graveyard.

1. Turn off the phone and remove the battery. And no matter what, do not turn it back on. The circuits may survive if the power is cut off quickly.

2. Dry it off as much as possible to prevent more liquid from seeping in. Get into as many nooks as you can, inside and out.

3. Put the phone and the battery in a dry, warm spot with good ventilation (say on top of the cable box or windowsill) so the remaining water evaporates.

4. Let the parts dry for two days and not a minute less! It will be tough, but resist the urge to test your phone during this time. You may short-circuit the system if any wires are damp.

5. After two days, reattach the battery, turn it on (and fingers crossed!) make a test call. With luck, your phone is back in working order.

Unfortunately, if your cell mixes with other liquids, these steps won't work - a technician should clean with distilled water and alcohol as soon as possible. Juice, coffee, soda or a grimy puddle will corrode the inside of your cell. The longer it dries, the more concentrated the substance will become.

Source:I don't know. It was passed on to me as a magazine clipping but no identifying source

By cailifouhnofthemist from Williams Lake, BC

Top Comment

I second the rice trick. I put my husband's phone in rice for 3 days after a trip in the washing machine and it worked like always! We did have to get a new battery, but it sure beat getting a new phone!

Top Comment

A friend of mine dropped his cell phone in a bucket of paint. He quickly fished it out and cleaned it up. He let it dry in the sun for about a day and a half. It still worked when he finally started to use it again.

Top Comment

I have done both of these things, putting it in a ventilated spot, and also burying it in rice. One thing that is being forgotten here tho, is you should also remove the SIM card when you remove the battery so that it can dry along with the spot it was in.

I dropped my cell phone in the toilet! I immediately asked my son what to do. He said to get a bag of RICE and completely bury the phone in the rice in an OPEN position and let it there for THREE DAYS. I did so and when I checked three days later it worked! That was THREE years ago and I'm still using the SAME phone with no problems!

September 8, 2011 Flag

Help! I just unloaded my washer and found my cell phone in a pants pocket. Is there any saving it, my whole life is in that thing? Thanks.

By FloraDee from TN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Do NOT try to plug in the phone or turn it on. Take it apart and put each piece in raw rice completely covering every part of the phone. Yup, that's right, rice! Leave the parts in the rice undisturbed for 48 hours. The rice will help draw the moisture out of the components. After a few days, reassemble the phone, say a prayer, and try to charge it. Hopefully it will turn on again.

Best Answer

My son has dunked his cell phone; he dried it out by placing it in front of a hot fan (the fan from his PS3). The phone worked just fine after it dried out. I know of others who have not only washed their phones, but run them through the dryer, and they have continued to work. I wouldn't run it through the dryer, as I am sure the tumbling wouldn't be good for it, but put in in front of some warm blowing air, and that should do the trick.

I may have the solution. This may be a round about way of explaining it to you but bear with me.

I had a boss who dropped his cell phone in a bucket of water based paint. He removed it from the paint and then washed it off thoroughly. He then opened it up and took it apart as far as he felt safe. He then placed all the parts under a heat lamp for about 1/2 an hour. When He was sure they were completley dry He put it back together and the phone worked fine.

Now the only difference is this was back in1986 and cell phones were made of high quality materials. This was when cell phones were few and far between and cost an arm and a leg.

However, a similar process may work for you. But more than likely, if the phone has gone through a dryer cycle it is completely dry and something must have been damaged during the wash.

Good luck.

I don't know about rescuing the phone, but if you take it back to the store they might be able to rescue the data stored on your SIM card. Good luck!

April 29, 2010 Flag

If you ever drop your cell phone in water, do not turn it on. You may be able to save it if you immediately remove the battery and the SIM card. Place all the pieces in a bowl of dry rice for 48 to 72 hours. The rice will absorb the moisture and the phone may work like new.

By Elaine from Iowa

Answers:

Saving Water Logged Cell Phone

Wonder if that would work for a phone dropped in a 5 gallon bucket of grape juice. My husband did that little trick and we just got a new one. Probably wouldn't be the same. (03/05/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Saving a Water Logged Cell Phone

We did this after my hubby's blackberry got wet. I saw the idea in a women's magazines a couple of days before, so we thought it was worth a try. He tried to power it up it up after 48 hours and it briefly worked, but died again. We put it back it the rice for a couple more days and voila, it works like a charm. Great idea as it saved a bundle of money. (03/07/2009)

By bachish

Saving a Water Logged Cell Phone

My son just took his battery off, and then put the phone and battery in the vent of his PS3, which blows warm air. Anything like that would work, of course. The next day he had to charge it up twice, but it worked fine after that.

Another kid I know has actually run his phone through the wash cycle more than once, and has been able to use it again. I don't know if he ran it though the dryer or not! LOL (03/09/2009)

By louel53

Saving a Water Logged Cell Phone

They weren't portable, but there was nothing like the old Bell system phones with the mechanical dials. After one got well drowned in a grimy basement flood, I opened it up, flushed the body and the handset out with a garden hose, and dried the pieces in a warm oven. Worked like a champ for another decade. (03/19/2009)

By Red Neck

Smart Phone with large drops of water on and around it
Saving a Cellphone That Got Wet
Home and Garden Repair Electronics (Small) CellphonesApril 29, 2010
Pink Silicone Cell Phone Case
Cleaning a Silicone Cell Phone Case
striped knit sock like phone pouch
Making a Cell Phone Holder
Cell Phone Batteries
Saving Money on Cell Phone Batteries
Cell Phone User Making call with Card
Saving Money on Phone Cards
🎉
🎄