Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Ever dropped your cell phone in a puddle, or worse, the toilet? If your cell takes an unexpected dunking, follow these steps to avoid a trip to the gadget graveyard.
Unfortunately, if your cell mixes with other liquids, these steps won't work - a technician should clean with distilled water and alcohol as soon as possible. Juice, coffee, soda or a grimy puddle will corrode the inside of your cell. The longer it dries, the more concentrated the substance will become.
Source:I don't know. It was passed on to me as a magazine clipping but no identifying source
By leanne chaisson from Williams Lake, BC
I second the rice trick. I put my husband's phone in rice for 3 days after a trip in the washing machine and it worked like always! We did have to get a new battery, but it sure beat getting a new phone!
A friend of mine dropped his cell phone in a bucket of paint. He quickly fished it out and cleaned it up. He let it dry in the sun for about a day and a half. It still worked when he finally started to use it again.
I have done both of these things, putting it in a ventilated spot, and also burying it in rice. One thing that is being forgotten here tho, is you should also remove the SIM card when you remove the battery so that it can dry along with the spot it was in.
I have saved my cellphone three times from certain death and I wish to pass along the technique. I dropped it once into a puddle under a vacation home I had rented, a fluke happening as I was looking at the rainwater puddling under the home. Two other times I stupidly dropped the phone into the toilet because I bought the cheap belt holder and it flipped out as I stood up. You have to immediately pop the battery off of the phone, you have about 5 seconds before the water infiltrates the chip and fries the electronics.
I have also heard that you can put a wet phone (with the battery off) and battery in a zipper bag with rice overnight. Apparently the rice absorbs the moisture. For those of us who don't own a hair dryer.
I dropped my phone in a full cup of Crystal Light just this week. I immediately opened it up and took the SIM card and battery out, and dried everything off as well as I could with a paper towel. We set the open phone and pieces in front of a fan for a full day and the next morning it was working fine. My husband says that it's very important not to try turning it back on too soon. It needs to be able to completely dry out first.
My husband owns a company refurbishing old cell phones to be brand new again. They obviously get a lot of phones with water damage. Something we found sometimes works is, if you can, take your phone apart (most phones have torx screws, you can find screw drivers at sears) and take the circuit board of the phone and and take a toothbrush with denatured alcohol (rubbing alcolhol is not the best but will do) and brush the whole board softly and put it in the toaster oven.
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
Help! I just unloaded my washer and found my cell phone in a pants pocket. Is there any saving it, my whole life is in that thing? Thanks.
By FloraDee from TN
Do NOT try to plug in the phone or turn it on. Take it apart and put each piece in raw rice completely covering every part of the phone. Yup, that's right, rice! Leave the parts in the rice undisturbed for 48 hours. The rice will help draw the moisture out of the components. After a few days, reassemble the phone, say a prayer, and try to charge it. Hopefully it will turn on again.
My son has dunked his cell phone; he dried it out by placing it in front of a hot fan (the fan from his PS3). The phone worked just fine after it dried out. I know of others who have not only washed their phones, but run them through the dryer, and they have continued to work. I wouldn't run it through the dryer, as I am sure the tumbling wouldn't be good for it, but put in in front of some warm blowing air, and that should do the trick.
How do I dry out a wet cellphone? My grandson dropped mine in a glass of water and it no longer works.
By Sonya C Swain from Athens, GA
Take the back off and let dry, after put one of those silicone packets in a plastic bag with the phone to absorb the rest of the moisture.
ThriftyFun is one of the longest running frugal living communities on the Internet. These are archives of older discussions.
My husband dropped his cellphone in a mug of coffee. Has anyone experienced this, and is there any hope for it working?
Zoombit from Atlanta, GA
I would take it apart as much as possible and let it completely dry out. I once dropped my phone in my washing machine that was filling up with water. It was completely covered in water. After I let it dry out I turned it on and it worked again. Yours might be different because it was not just plain water, but I would give it a try. (02/28/2006)
I used a blow dryer to dry it out. Works fine now. (02/28/2006)
My husband dropped his phone in the bucket of soap he was using to wash the car, and did not miss the phone for over an hour. He put the phone in the oven on warm and left it there all day. It dried out and has worked fine for months now. (02/28/2006)
I knocked my cellphone in the mop bucket. Tried all the above and mine still didn't work. Took it back to Altel and got a new one. I carry insurance on mine now. (02/28/2006)
Take battery pack out. If possible, let in air outside (though not in direct sunlight) if it is pretty and warm outside.
This happened to me (bathtub of water) and I immediately took it out. Cloudy outside so I hit it a couple of times with blow dryer on low and let it sit unassembled, so to speak for 24 hours. Works like a champ. (03/01/2006)
Two years ago, on the day that my husband got his new phone (new contract) he dropped it in the toilet! Luckily, the water was still clean. LOL! Anyway, he took the battery pack out, cleaned it as best he could and let it air dry. The next day he put it back together, crossed his fingers and turned it on. It worked like a charm. His contract expired a couple of weeks ago and he got a new phone. But his old one never gave him any trouble. Good Luck! (03/01/2006)
Thanks for all the feedback. He took the phone apart as much as we could and placed it on the back of his computer monitor for two days to get dry air on it. It is working as of now, but one can only hope it continues. (03/05/2006)
It will work fine if you do not try to turn it on after it happens, that will blow a fuse. Let it sit for 3 days, and it should give you no trouble. But, if turned on earlier it may give you problems. (07/17/2007)
I dropped my phone in the toilet. First you take a bowl of white uncooked rice and let it sit there overnight. Apparently the rice will absorb the moisture. Then after letting it sit, use a vacuum hose and suck the air out while the battery is removed. (01/17/2009)
Mine fell in water. I tried to dry it out but finally took it to the store and they said it was fried. Got a new one but kept the old one, and lo and behold a few days later it worked fine! (07/21/2009)
By nancy nunez