Yard Machine Mower Will Not Start

I have a Yard Machine MTD Special Edition, 18 HP Briggs and Stratton. I have installed a new battery, solenoid, and new battery cables. I checked all of the safety switches. When I try to start the engine with the key I get a chatter from the solenoid. I have started the engine by using a battery with jumping cables. What could be wrong?

By Bruce from Marion, IN

I have a MTD Yard Machine, 42inch, model 13AI665g552. The mower was working just fine, then I stopped it. I went to start it again and it would not start. There was only a loud click from directly beneath the seat (solenoid?) and the voltmeter dipped to left. I have tried a new battery and filled tank with gas. Any ideas?

By Jaime

Yes, it is the solenoid. To be sure test the starter, take jumper cables and hook to your car battery, take the other end and clamp the red to the starter wire then touch the black clamp to a bolt near the motor on the frame.

We have a '97 Yard Machine, 14.5 hp, with a 38 inch cut. It won't do anything. When turning the switch it makes no sound. If we jump it off by the battery or solenoid it turns over. The battery is charged and is new. We have replaced the starter, coil, flywheel, battery, solenoid, and switch and still nothing. Can anyone help?

By Heather from Lexington, NC

Answers:

Yard Machine Mower Will Not Start

Did you try a new spark plug? (08/13/2010)

By nineleven47