Yard Machine Mower Will Not Start

I have a Yard Machine MTD Special Edition, 18 HP Briggs and Stratton. I have installed a new battery, solenoid, and new battery cables. I checked all of the safety switches. When I try to start the engine with the key I get a chatter from the solenoid. I have started the engine by using a battery with jumping cables. What could be wrong?

By Bruce from Marion, IN

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

August 22, 2011 Flag

I have a MTD Yard Machine, 42inch, model 13AI665g552. The mower was working just fine, then I stopped it. I went to start it again and it would not start. There was only a loud click from directly beneath the seat (solenoid?) and the voltmeter dipped to left. I have tried a new battery and filled tank with gas. Any ideas?

By Jaime

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, it is the solenoid. To be sure test the starter, take jumper cables and hook to your car battery, take the other end and clamp the red to the starter wire then touch the black clamp to a bolt near the motor on the frame.

March 24, 2011 Flag

We have a '97 Yard Machine, 14.5 hp, with a 38 inch cut. It won't do anything. When turning the switch it makes no sound. If we jump it off by the battery or solenoid it turns over. The battery is charged and is new. We have replaced the starter, coil, flywheel, battery, solenoid, and switch and still nothing. Can anyone help?

By Heather from Lexington, NC

Answers:

Yard Machine Mower Will Not Start

Did you try a new spark plug? (08/13/2010)

By nineleven47

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersMarch 24, 2011
Riding Lawn Mower
Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
Mowing With Weed Wacker
Mowing a Lawn Without a Mower
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 19, 2017 at 5:17:37 AM on 10.0.1.15 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.