Feed Corn for Slippery Sidewalks

Try using cracked feed corn on slippery sidewalks instead of salt. It doesn't damage your lawns and it provides food for the birds. It's very reasonably price, too, about seven dollars for fifty pounds at any feed store. Granular fertilizer also works if you don't have access to feed corn.

By Lynn

I used fertlizer on my sidewalk and it damaged it so bad. The corn sounds good but, PLEASE, NO FERTLIZER.

thank you

Granualr fertilizer on paths is a bad idea. When the thaw comes the fertilizer will be washed into stormwater drains and thence into river systems. The wash off from lawns and gardens is bad enough, causing overload of nutrient in waterways and blooms of poisonous blue-green algae, without adding to it.

The feed corn sounds a good idea though!

A few more ideas to try:

Coffee grounds

Cat Litter (safer for puppy's paws)

tea grounds

Baking soda (a last resort)

My solution to icy walks and driveways is to throw black sunflower seeds along the route. The seeds act as tiny solar collectors and cause divits in the ice. The birds peck at the seeds breaking up the ice. The shells then act as grit to help prevent one from slipping on the ice. I stock up on black sunflower seed when it is on sale and use it all during the worst of the winter months. The additional benefit is the entertainment factor the birds' and squirrels' show provides my indoor cats.

The feed corn is a great idea, too. It is more difficult for me to get in the city. I have used recycled coffee grounds from Starbucks when seeds are in short supply.

man slipping on ice
Removing Ice on Sidewalks and Driveways
Home and Garden Home Improvement Helpful HintsJanuary 30, 2005
Buying Feed Corn
Growing Indian Corn
Growing Indian Corn
Hardwood Floors
Making Hardwood Floors Less Slippery
A stack of corn tortillas.
Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipes