Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Removing Hair from a Bathtub

I clean houses for the elderly and one of my clients has very long hair. I was wondering if there is an easy, quick way to remove hair from sinks, tubs/showers, toilets, etc. When I clean it just moves the hair around and I end up having to pick it off, and that is gross to me. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Janice from Illinois

By

By (Guest Post)02/24/2009

It doesn't sound like her problem is with the hair in the drain, but with the hair on the sink/toilet/tub itself. I work in housekeeping in an assisted living and I use a dry cloth and it comes right up. Never thought to get the vac out, but that sounds like a lot of work to me... however would work.

By Vickie F. Winfield B.C. Canada. (Guest Post)02/22/2009

I clean house for some older folks too. I found vacuuming out the tub and sink before I start cleaning is much less yucky.

By Souix (Guest Post)02/22/2009

I use a round hair brush, in the bath, shower, sink, etc. & just put it in the drain & the hair will attach to it & you can use a rubber glove & an old comb for removing it from the brush. Hope this one helps.

By kidena (Guest Post)02/21/2009

Go to a Dollar Tree Store & you will find 2 tiny mesh inserts in a package for $1. that you place in the drains. One is usually bigger than the other. I have my own bathroom & short hair so every couple of days before using the tub I remove the mesh insert (which is completly dry) & take a tissue & remove the collected hair. It does the trick. GOOD LUCK.

By kw (Guest Post)02/21/2009

Surprise! I just found out I can clean hair out of the shower with my feet, mainly my toes, while taking a shower I tried it while the water were running also after I got out of the shower, water off, do this before the hair gets dry, easy to remove, good luck.

By Jimberly (Guest Post)02/21/2009

I went to the hardware store and they have a 2 foot long plastic tool with a couple of hooks on the end of it. I have 5 daughters and myself with long hair and the sons. This items works great. It brings up loads of hair that cloggs the sinks.

By lynda [12]02/21/2009

Try to realize that a single hair is only a hair, not a collection of filth, germs, or maggots. It used to gross me out until I began washing others hair as a Hairdressing Student. Once you take the time to see that hair is dead, washed often, has only a little grease/oil/ shampoo/lint on it, it will NOT harm you in any way. God bless and help you to not become as my dear grandmother was: So terrified of a single hair that she'd toss the whole dinnerplate of food if one was seen or found in or on it. This is absurd and a terrible waste, nothing to fear at all. : )

By janice [48]02/21/2009

Thank You for all the great suggestions. And yes, I do wear gloves when cleaning the bathroom, would not do it without them. I will be using some of these ideas on monday when I return to work.

By Destiny (Guest Post)02/21/2009

I use a long handle tweezer. It gets under the middle piece to.

By Mary (Guest Post)02/20/2009

To really remove hair from tub and sink, use a piece of dry or slightly damp tissue, either facial tissue or bath tissue. With water, it just floats around.

By Heather Australia (Guest Post)02/20/2009

The brush attachment on a vacuum would work really well if the surface of whatever you are cleaning is dry. We don't use our bath/spa all that often and I clean the dust away with the brush attachment.

By Debi (Guest Post)02/20/2009

Windex sells a box of cloths (they are not treated), for non-streak window cleaning, that work awesome for this. Just use one and it will pick up all the hair first time around. They are washable too if you want to or just toss out. I use them for dusting, picking up pet hair, etc. You get a large box at Walmart for a couple of bucks. You will love them!

By (Guest Post)02/20/2009

I hope you use gloves when cleaning - I know the care workers who used to do my Mum and Dad's place always had gloves for the cleaning - they were the throw away kind so there was no problem with cross contamination.

By (Guest Post)02/20/2009

We use a small hook with a long handle, similar to a needlework or crewel hook. It works great.

By (Guest Post)02/20/2009

A wet micro fiber cloth (dollartree has them) works wonders! It sticks right to it, you still have to pick it of of the cloth but it will be all at once, so it wont be as bad, like a band aid do it quick!

By Diane02/20/2009

Hi, I suggest you look in the pet section. There are types of rubber "brushes" that pick up hair. They work good on my furniture so maybe they'd do the trick with hair in the bathroom. Peace

By Julie [49]02/20/2009

I praise you for cleaning it up anyway even though it is gross, most people would not and it shows you care and do your job well. Those little plastic caps do work good and are only $1 each but I find they scoot around to easy if the water flow is hard or if you bump them and alot of the hair slips by them. If you canm clean out the yucky mess one good time then you can take metal screen (like on windows) it comes in rolls at the hard ware store and cut you a circle of it the size of your drain and turn back the edges a bit so they are not sharp with a pair of needle nose pliers. The screen is heavy enough to stay in place and after each use you can just pick up the screen and brush it off clean with an old tooth brush never having to touch the hair by hand. This method works on any type drain for the sinks,tubs. By the way long tweezers work good to get that nasty hair out of the drains.

By Robyn Fed [388]02/20/2009

One of those little white hair collector drains helps -
then you just spray the whole bathtub and shower and it collects in the little drain, you pick up the little plastic drain and take the hair out with a piece of tissue paper. I like these because I don't let hair go down the drain because it will clog up the pipes...

Hope this helped....

robyn

By pam munro [447]02/20/2009

Pick it up with a damp tissue or paper towel.

By (Guest Post)02/20/2009

A vacuum or a lint roller would do the trick.