AntsPest Control

Black Ants In My House

Summer is here and the ants are invading my house. Especially my computer desk. How do I get rid of the ants around my desk area?

By Lani from Lihue, HI

I had fire ants in the kitchen so I got the Combat ant bait. The next morning they were gone! Excellent product and you don't have to sprinkle anything around, just set out the little bait stations.

Ditto on the Combat disks! Just be sure the outside of the box says, "Guaranteed in 24 hours"! Also, be sure to place them where they are completely out of the reach of children and pets such as well under the stove and fridge or where a child or pet cannot reach otherwise. If you know where the ants incoming trail is coming from is the best place to place them.

Try dry cornmeal, just sprinkle it around the area. After they leave, sweep or vacuum it up. GG Vi

I was told by an exterminator that the black ants are attracted to moisture. Check your basement for leaks. Once they are in the house they will seek food in the kitchen or anywhere else it may be so be sure to close all packages tightly.

June 20, 2010 Flag

How do I get rid of ants inside my house? I am looking for anything that works. Thank you.

By Patricia

Answers:

Black Ants In My House

Terro liquid ant killer usually does the trick. The ants take it, and pretty soon it kills off the whole colony. The down side is that you've got to let them get at the ant killer without interrupting them, which means you'll initially have more ants. The good part is that they'll usually gravitate toward the ant killer, rather than just crawling all over in search of food. (04/07/2010)

By WildIrish

Black Ants In My House

You could use borax, there are directions on the box. I mixed it with sugar and put in my child safe cabinet under the sink, it really did the trick, for a while. There are many ant bait traps that work, however, you will keep getting ants until you seal cracks, windows, etc. You need to figure out where they are getting in and seal those areas with caulk. (04/08/2010)

By poepadoe

Black Ants In My House

Get some peppermint oil at the health food store. Put drops at entrances to the house, doors, windows, and garage. They do not like it, and it's not harmful to pets and children and it smells nice. One of the girls at work brings it in because we get them every spring and summer. It works here. (04/09/2010)

By deedine

Black Ants In My House

Those Terro bait stations are good. If you have a basement that isn't finished, place them on top of the sill plate. My ants come in that way, not through windows or doors. (04/12/2010)

By Beth

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 13, 2009 Flag

I have big black ants that are invading the inside of my rented house. How do I get rid of them?

Chalida from Celina, OH

Answers:

Black Ants In My House

Go to the hardware store and get some Terro. That stuff works great. (07/17/2006)

By Roger

Black Ants In My House

I too live in an apartment (second floor) and had just that problem last summer. In my case the ants were coming in the balcony door. So find where your ants are coming in and sprinkle a thick line of talcum powder, the ants can't cross the powder as it clogs up their bodies. It worked for me.
(07/19/2006)

By Ellie

Black Ants In My House

If you do not have any house pets that freely roam your home, sprinkle boric acid along the base boards and in any floor crevices. Also, rub Vapor Rub (i.e. Vicks) on the doorways and windows. I'm not sure which specific ingredient in the Vapor Rub repels the ants, but I've been doing this with our outside pet's food dish and it's worked like a charm for the past 2 years. Wipe down your counter top and fridge with vinegar. Use vinegar for the floors too, 1/2 cup vinegar for 1 gallon of water. (07/24/2006)

By linex_4

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Pest Control AntsJune 20, 2010
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
spoonful of sugar
Can You Use Sugar Contaminated By Ants?
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 26, 2017 at 4:16:14 AM on 10.0.0.136 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.