Remedies for Dry Skin

I have dry skin. What can I use?

By kome

I too suffer from very dry skin and tried many expensive and inexpensive lotions and creams. I was advised by two dermatologists to use virgin olive oil and that is what works best for me. I hesitated because of the smell but it is absorbed quickly and is not noticeable.

Several keys:

First, make sure you're hydrated from the inside out. Drink plenty of water and other liquids.

Second, review your diet--are you getting adequate vitamins, calories, and some fat? If you have questions, keep a food diary and review it with your doctor.

Third, a lot of lotions don't necessarily add moisture to your skin as much as seal the moisture you're losing in. Keeping this in mind, after you bathe or shower (avoid hot baths, they tend to dry you out), pat yourself dry and then seal your skin with lotion or even a cooking oil. (If you use oil, take care getting dressed so you don't get your clothes oily.)

Ask friends what lotions they like best. Ask if you can try a "squirt" of theirs. It seems we all have our own favorites.

Nivea cream is wonderful.

I worked in homecare nursing for years and learned that if you apply a good moisturizing lotion to the skin after you shower and gently dry, the skin's moisture will hold the lotion in to prevent the skin from drying out. It really works well. Good luck.