My Dachshund Has Behavior Problems

Pet owners are often very frustrated by the difficulty they experience in training their dogs, both house training and behavior training. This is a guide about my Dachshund has behavior problems.

I have an 8 month old mini-dachshund who still cannot be trusted for very long in the house without urinating somewhere. I have crate trained her, but she still has submissive/excited urination as well as urination done "on purpose" when she is mad at me. Yesterday she actually came up to me and peed on my foot. What does this behavior mean? I have a part time job and give a lot of attention to my 4 year old son. She also bites him sometimes during "play" and hurts him. I scold her for this, but then she pees on my foot or something. I'm at the end of my rope with her, what do I do?

Erin

Best Answer

The dog needs to be in the crate when you go out.

It may take a while to break him of peeing but stick it out! It is also good to train him to go into the crate on command. You may need to have the door open to bring in groceries. This way you don't have to worry about him getting out or underfoot.

Best Answer

If you do not want your dog to dig all over the yard or under the fence try this.

Pick an are where you will let him dig. Bury treats here now and then. This will direct him where you want him.

I am not sure you can get him to stop digging all together.

Best Answer

Urinating on you is a sign of alpha behavior, as is biting your child. I have no doubt you love your dog, but you may have to chose between your dog and your child. Your child has a right to be safe in his own home. A dog who has bitten is not a safe companion. The bites might have been minor so far, but you cannot predict with 100% certainty that the next occurrence won't be a major bite or attack. I urge you to find a loving adult for the dog, with people who understand alpha behavior and can control it.

I was in the same situation 30 years ago, and it broke my heart to have to place my beloved pet, but a childs safety must come first.

Best Answer

My terrier years ago "marked" my pants leg only once, and that was while I was standing in a neighbor's yard talking. I think he was literally marking his territory - me. Dogs are pack animals; they need to know that you're the boss of the pack and that you will take care of them always. If you have to have a dog, maybe an older dog would be better, one whose history you can find out from the animal shelter. Good luck to you.

Dachshund are very special dogs. Not for everyone, now on my fifth one I balance out their stubborness with the love they give me. Definitely hard if not impossible to potty train at times (hard wood floors a must) I fine they will only listen to you if they love you and don't want you upset. That means love sleep in the bed with you sit on the couch with you etc. Anytime you think they have got it, they regress and do exactly what you don't want. Please research the dog and understand this before you get one. If your not ready to share you bed, couch and get these guys to love you so they want to do nothing but please you, then you need to consider another breed. Once they love you they will try to obey but still make mistakes. Much to my vets and groomers surprise I have never had a nippy or unfriendly Dachshund. I think they require more then some are willing to give. In exchange they will love you like no other.

I've had a daxie for 5 years and I've noticed a clear pattern that he pees inside if people baby him! Anyone that visits and gives him an overexcited greeting, or anyone that he considers as 'helpless' and in need of his protection, will result in him peeing indoors when they leave. It was explained to me once that this is because he feels he has to protect them, and if they leave without him, he feels he's failed and will go into melt down, peeing around the house.

We had a friend with a toddler visit last weekend, and I told her "he'll pee tonight after you've gone, even though he's not done this for 6 months. I can see he's fiercely protective of your kid" and sure enough, 3 hours later, I found one in the kitchen! His problem is not one of stubbornness, he cares too much and if in panic mode when kids or elderly leave the house, because he's not doing his job! Bless!

Hi Everyone,

I love our little female mini to bits, she's got toys and we give her alot of attention but still she sneaks into our laundry basket and chew our underwear or drag our shoes out on the lawn. Any advice??

Someone told me that getting her a partner, a male mini, will help - what do you think?

Anonymous

ALL dogs pee, especially small breeds. Do some more research. You have to be committed

No!!! You don't have to get rid of your beloved pet because he has bitten your little child. Just have to teach him to play nicely and calmly with your child. Always be watching them together when they are at play and soon as he or she, the dog starts getting too rough playing then let him know very quickly that's a no no. Which ever way you have to teach the dog that you see works best that he listens too then keep on doing that approach. The dog will eventually learn he or she is not allowed to play too rough. Remember your child will get older along with your pet so therefore they both will get calmer with age. You can get in with the play time with the dog, your child and you together playing and teach the dog and your son the correct way to play together. Let them two build a close bond so the dog want be jealous of your child. No, I'm not an expert or a vet or anything to that matter but have learned from my own experiences with my dog I used to have with my two younger boys. Had to teach them how to play correct way. Really tryto get yyour Dog tought somehow that's it's not ok to bite. Let me know what you think about what all advice that I've tried to give you. Good luck to you all. Bridgette.

Anonymous

I have 2 female miniature dachshunds. Sammie is 13, Roxie is 3. Neither of them have EVER had a "nervous peeing problem". Sammie was my first of this breed and my husband and I absolutely fell in love. He was actually expecting her to "nervously pee" but she never once did. 4 months ago, someone was needing to find Roxie her furever home, and because we had Sammie, and she's getting up there in age, I thought if we got the same breed, #1 she could teach her the hunting ways that she knows (which she has done an incredible job of!) #2 it won't be AS hard when Sammie goes home to wait for us. So far, she's been FANTASTIC. She's had her indoor accidents we're still trying to completely break her from, but it's been worth it. She's so affectionate and loving, WHEN....she ISN'T getting in trouble for something. When I try to get on to her, SHE AIN'T HAVIN IT!!!! I feel like "biting the hand that feeds you" is a HUGE problem that needs to be fixed IMMEDIATELY, But Idk where to even start  can someone please give me some helpful advice? Thank you