WeedsGardening

I Need Help Identifying Weeds

We just recently moved into a new home. The home already has a garden. But I am not sure how to identify actual weeds and actual garden items. I have identified we have green onions, rhubarb and corn growing there. But there are lots of other plants growing that I do not know what they are. Is there someone who can help me identify these plants? I can also provide pictures if requested of the different plants.

Any and all help would be greatly be appreciated.

Berny from Colorado

Hey Berny,

Do you have a local agriculture extension agency?

Mine here has thousands of books and leaflets on all kinds of stuff about gardening , etc. I know i had to go find a leaflet on poison ivy and poison oak and they had several with actual pictures, and i found some on common weeds also. Try them, and sometimes you can get it mailed to your house for free.

Weeds usually have primitive, spiked, or sort of "sinister" looking leaves, grow flat and low to the ground and seem to have a central, long root, as opposed to a root system or root clump. Even the the flowering weeds can be identified by their short-lived, primitive-looking blooms. Good luck and happy gardening!

Is there a local garden club in your area? Ask at the local city hall if there is. Then ask one of the members if they wouldn't mind coming over to give you an idea of what you have in your yard. I have done so and it really helped them out. Be sure to have something ready to be able to mark the perennials so you know when they have left which ones not to pull out. Permanently mark each perennial with the name so you know in the future what you have.

Check out the local library, gardening shops, lawn care facilities can offer advise for free, some encyclopedias, even some boy scout books have plant information