Fabric Ceiling Has Water Stains

We have a ceiling made of beige color upholstery fabric. It got wet from a leak in the roof, and it has big brown rusty halos created by the water. It cannot come down to be wash. It is a cotton fabric. I would appreciate any idea how to cover, conceal, or paint it. Thanks a lot.

By Dolly

Personally, I would simply paint over the fabric. It might take a couple of coats but that would be your best bet. Paint the stain marks first, let them dry and then paint the rest and a second time if needed.

Some people are going to probably suggest bleach water but the fabric color will not ever be even doing that and bleach is harmful to lungs and to the environment.

I would try a little bit of bleach water, lots of water and a tiny bit of bleach. Put it on a q-tip or cotton ball and dab to see if it will work. If you feel "lucky" you can spray this mixture on the cloth. Should work! Good luck.

You might try spraing hydrogen peroxide on it. I did that on ceiling tile that were rain stained.

Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceJuly 7, 2010
Photo of a ceiling fan.
Cleaning a Ceiling Fan
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan
Yellow Stains on Ceiling
Ceiling Fan
Repairing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan