What Is This Plant? (Locust Tree)

Does anyone know what this plant is? It appeared in my flower bed this summer. It has very fragile stems and leaves and has just started to get small yellow flowers

Maxine from Westampton, NJ

Best Answer

It's a Locust Tree. If you dont want it in your yard forever dig it up now! They spread by the roots they dont even need to drop seeds, although it will. They can also grow 6 ft a year in the right spots. They are weeds and they are thorny once they get big.

good luck

Best Answer

It is a small Locust Tree that will grow very quickly. The leaves remain small and the tree will look like an overgrown ugly bush Get rid of it now!

Best Answer

I agree it looks like a locust tree - nasty! Definitely NOT a columbine. Locust trees are not what you would call quality trees that would add value to your property.

They might be lupins, but not positive.

I think it's a caragana bush. Try a google image search and I think you might get some good pictures.

When I was a kid we used to have that growing all over our yard. My mom said that it is called "Wild Rose". Us kids used to munch on the sweet-tart yellow blossoms.

I don't know what it is, but I know that it is very invasive, as I have it all over my yard! I pull it up by the roots whenever I see it. Good luck on getting rid of it and God bless you.

it's a columbine...they do take over but are very pretty

It's a young black locust tree. They are very common here in the south, and quite invasive. If you want to replant it somewhere, be sure to stake it well to help it grow up straight. Otherwise it may go crooked. They do make nice shade trees and get fairly tall fairly quickly down here.

It's a member of the Cassia family, but in Florida, that particular one is considered invasive. There are lots of other Cassias that are encouraged. In fact we have one called a Candlestick bush and it attracts butterflies and this looks similar to it. The one you have is very fragile, has small yellow/gold flowers. You can google Cassias and click on images of Cassias and your plant will come up. We consider it a weed. Happy Gardening!