Centerpiece with Fishing Theme

I am planning a surprise 70th birthday party for my dad who is the avid fisherman. I have been trying hard to come up with a neat, creative idea for a centerpiece (fishing theme) to use on all the tables, but haven't been able to come up with anything. Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

By Sara from Huntington Beach, CA

Best Answer

For the mature fisherman use a fish shaped cake pan to make any flavor cake you like. Use various icing colors to make your cake look like a fish. Or leave it to the professionals. Bakeries could bake a fish cake with just a couple days notice.

Fisherman's Centerpiece

Use a Photoshop program to crop your fisherman's head on a picture showing the one that got away. Put the fake fishing story in a frame on his birthday gift table. If you have them you could use real pictures of past fishing trips. Scatter fishing lures around the table minus the hooks of course. You could use a plastic boat as a table centerpiece. Cover tables in blue cloth for beautiful ocean feel. Use plain unscented white candles in fish shaped candle holders for an elegant table touch.

Fishy Foods

Small children love finger foods. Give them Goldfish crackers in various colors. Fish sticks or tuna fish sandwiches are keeping in the fisherman theme. Use fish shaped cookie cutters to carve fish shaped sandwiches. More mature taste buds could enjoy seafood salad or some baked fish. For kids you could make candy sushi out of fruit roll ups and cream cheese frosting. Put fish crackers all over the table for your dad.

Visit the dollar store and load up on decorative fishing nets. Hang them over table clothes and from walls of the party room. Place plastic fish and starfish in the nets and scatter some on the tables. Use blue and green streamers, helium balloons and fish cut outs for the walls,also get the singing fish you can hang on the wall after the party is over.

Good luck.

Best Answer

I made my father in law a cake one year, a large sheet cake. It had a lake on one end made with wilton gel. The other end was a sandy beach with palm trees, with a little man character complete with pole. Stores that sell wilton usually have these, or call wilton directly to order if you have enough time.

I've made centerpieces with small fish bowls with gold fish and have the miniature poles going into the water. Lures and bobbers around the edge. Have fun with it!

Best Answer

Use vintage china fish/gurgle jugs filled with flowers. Google gurgle jugs or check out ebay fro pictures.

How about making miniature magnetic fishing games for each table, using fish made with thin cardstock and paperclips (bare metal) and fishing rods with tiny magnets. Any small, non-metallic container would do for the bowl/pond

You could then have sentiments, jokes, memeories or quiz questions about the birthday boy's life and interests written on the fish to get people laughing and talking right from the start!

For my husband's party, I bought fabric in fish themes to use as table cloths. Trimmed the cut edge with pinking shears just for the party. I bought the fabric with the intention of reusing it to make PJ's/lounging pants with. Also made a nifty shower curtain in my husband's bathroom.

How about bowls of Pepperidge Farms goldfish (they come in different colors now) in bowls from the Dollar Store?

Glowing fish lantern centerpiece.
Making a Fishing Theme Centerpiece
Holidays and Parties Parties CenterpiecesMarch 11, 2010
Easter Centerpiece
Easter Centerpiece Ideas
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Birthday Party Centerpiece
Birthday Party Centerpiece Ideas
Ice Fishing
Ice Fishing Tips and Photos