Homemade Magnetic Fishing Game

Category Games
With a few supplies and some rudimentary sewing skills you can make a fishing game for your kids or as a gift. This is a guide about making a homemade magnetic fishing game.

For almost no cost, you can make a fun gift for young kids. I've seen this idea all over the internet and came up with my own version. I drew a pattern for a simple fish shape and a starfish, then used it to cut out two fabric pieces for each one.

Instructions:

1. Stitch your pieces together (right sides together, then turn right side out).

2. Stuff with a bit of fiberfill.

3. Hand-sew a metal washer onto the "nose" of your fish.

4. Add a button eye if you like.

5. Use a short piece of dowel for the fishing pole. Tie shoelace onto one end of the dowel.

6. Super glue the end of the shoe lace in between two magnets.

Warning:This is an important part of the project. You do not want the magnets to come off allowing for the possibility of being swallowed. This is not a toy for children under 3 or any child who likes to put things in his mouth.

7. Now, find a bucket, basket, or some kind of container from which the little fisher boy or girl can "hook" a big catch. The magnet will hook onto the metal washers on the nose of the fish.

8. Personalize the container and decorate any way you like.

Source: Many examples online.

By ~gloria from upstate, NY

My 11 year-old son asked me to help him make this for his little brother's Christmas present. It was a huge hit! My 6 year-old loves his fishing set and our 3 cats were utterly delighted.

Total Time: 1 Hour

Yield: 5 fish and 1 rod

• 5 9x12 inch squares felt (red, blue, green, yellow, orange) ($3.45)
  • 10 googly eyes
  • 5 1 inch key rings ($1.00/pack)
  • poly-fill
  • 1 3/4 inch diameter wooden dowel (less than $1.00)
  • 30 in string
  • 2 3/4 inch strong magnets ($1.25 for 3)
  • glue gun

1. Create a template by drawing a fish shape (approximately 6 inches long) on a piece of paper and cutting it out.
  2. Trace fish shapes onto felt. You will need to cut two fish shapes from each color. My son used a Sharpie, but I would recommend using a craft pencil if you have one.
  3. Use scrap felt to make decorations for fish. Attach the decorations onto the fish. We sewed one line down the middle of each decoration because I wanted them to be attached strongly. If you don't sew, you can glue the decorations on using craft or white glue.
  4. Attach googly eye - I did this with a hot glue gun. Craft glue may also work. Be careful, we ended up with one fish that has an upside down eye on one side :)
  5. Sew or glue fish together right sides out. Leave opening at fishes mouth. We sewed them together because my son and cats are pretty hard on things.
  6. Ad

7. Glue key ring to mouth area. Glue or hand stitch the fish's mouth closed. I'd recommend reinforcing the area with the key ring.
  8. Glue one end of string to wooden dowel. Glue other end of string in between two magnets. Use "a lot" of hot glue. The magnets came apart after the first attempt and we had to re-glue them.

Make sure this is played in a large space. My son had a tendency to throw the "line" out at first, which could endanger the TV or windows.