Keeping a Tan Longer Using Olive Oil

Has anyone heard of using olive oil to help your tan last longer? I was coming home from the Bahamas and a gentleman who was one of the crew members told me to use an olive oil lotion to make it last longer. So do you think using regular olive oil instead of in lotion form might work, too?

By Louise from Tiverton, RI

Best Answer

The olive oil works by keeping your skin moist so the tiny particles of skin don't flake off as quickly as they would if your skin was dry. So pretty-much anything that keep your skin well hydrated will help.

To get rid of a tan quicker, apply lemon juice, then scrub with regular sugar to exfoliate the top (dead) skin cells... The lemon juice supposedly helps to "bleach" your skin, I don't know if it works, but the sugar-scrub is a great way to help remove any type of tan faster (natural, bottled or spray-tan). This can really help when your fake tan stats to fade unevenly.

Best Answer

One of the best ways to extend the life of your tan is to use those daily glow moisturizers that have just a little self tanner in them. You already have a base tan, so these lotions will keep it going. Jergens, Nivea, Loreal all have them. They are not sold as self tanners which can sometimes turn your tan orange, but as daily moisturizers have gradually add color. Make sure you choose the right formula for your skin. They usually comes for fair, medium or darker skin tones.

Thank you so much. I've been trying to loose my tan for 3 years and now I am just olive(but not dark). Finally.

Your tan is bound to fade as your skin rids itself of the dead cells. The only way to keep a tan is to keep going in the sun to keep renewing it. There's a serious risk of skin cancer when one gets a tan, so maybe a fake tan is better. This is what most of the celebrities have. I live in Florida, and when I visit relatives from the north, I notice that my skin is more tanned, but this is because I am in the sun whenever I am outdoors for any reason.

Pale is the new tan! These sun worshippers know the dangers and the wrinkled, leathery skin that is the result of laying out in the sun or using tanning salons, but no one seems to listen. Must have that glowing healthy tan! But, when they reach 45 and look 55, it will be far too late.

A tan woman sitting on the beach.
Maintaining Your Tan Longer
Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care AdviceMarch 16, 2010
Storing Olive Oil
Storing Olive Oil
oil lamp on white background
Using Olive Oil as Fuel for Oil Lamps
Man Shopping for Oil
Using Vegetable Oil Instead of Olive Oil
Olive Oil
Health and Nutritional Benefits of Olive Oil