Hanging Curtains Without Damaging Walls

How do you hang curtains without damaging the walls and without using tension rods? My daughters college will not let them put nails or screws in the walls and there is no way to use a tension/spring rod.

By coolgsleadr

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

If the curtains are lite weight, or fairly so, then apply those large squares of velcro to the wall above the window, and onto the back top of curtains as well, and just stick them up there!

3M makes hooks in different sizes that go on with an adhesive but you can take them off, they leave no residue. I think they are called Command. I've used them to hang a lot of stuff, but never curtains. You can get them at Walmart or Home Depot. Maybe they would work!

I would use the 3M product because it will come off the wall with out leaving any marks. Just follow directions. The velcro adhesive will gouge the wall when you want to remove it.

Do those 3M hooks stick to rough surfaces like slightly texured walls or textured ceramic tile. As far as that goes the wood trim around the windows in my apartment aren't real smooth either. I have wondered about this for some time.

I was wondering about sticking to rough surfaces too. My daughters dorm room is all cinderblock walls.

If those 3M things don't work, maybe she could put frosted contact paper on the windows? At the very least it would provide her the privacy that she needs.

Hasn't her college ever heard of privacy? What an awful rule! You'd think they'd provide curtain rods!

There are mail -order companies that have rods where the metal ends hook over the corners of the wood molding that are made just for this reason. Or try that static vinyl that you place on windows for privacy. Have your daughter talk to the dorm Residence Advisor to see what other student have used in the past.

Depending on the size of the window wall you could place a tension rod from wall to wall and hang curtains from that. What about using those plastic hooks that have that sticky stuff on the back that is easily removed. I'll bet a rod could be placed in the hook part.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating CurtainsJuly 24, 2009
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Measuring Windows for New Curtains, Gold colored curtains and white sheers hanging on a wondow.
Measuring Windows for New Curtains
Starching Curtains
Starching Curtains
A picture frame on a plaster wall.
Hanging Pictures on Plaster Walls
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 9, 2016 at 11:33:19 AM on 10.0.0.14 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.