What is a Dutch Oven?

Could you explain exactly what a dutch oven is? I see many recipes requiring the use of it and have no idea what it is. What contraption have the Dutch invented which is so popular in the U.S. that on my Mediterranean island in Europe we have no idea what it is? I'm absolutely mystified at what sort of "oven" the dutch have, which is so different to a "normal" oven. thanks.

By Cett from Malta, Europe

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

http://images.s  p;p=dutch%20oven

A Dutch oven is a thick-walled cooking pot with a tight-fitting lid. It's large -- not as big as a stock pot, but large that you could cook a large pot of soup, or 6 cobs of corn in water, etc.

Go to this website -- it gives you a description, as well as the history as to why it's called "Dutch" oven! http://en.wikip  /wiki/Dutch_oven

Thanks carolb, for the wiki site so I could read about it. Just one more question. is the American version with the three little legs underneath? We just call it a casserole dish where I come from but it hasn't any legs underneath. So in American recipes, which one is used, legless(lol) or no?

The 3 legged kind is for campfire cooking and the flat is for stove top and oven cooking. I have just discovered dutch ovens and am in love with them. They cook with less enegy. The cast iron holds in heat better.

For the average house with a stove, a dutch oven is a big pot with a lid. No legs. Mine is: 5 inches high, 10 inches diameter Hope this helps.

Originally a Dutch oven is a cast iron pot with a tight fitting cast iron lid. It can be used over a camp fire, in a regular oven or stove top. If you want to bake in it over a campfire, you set it in the fire and place hot coals over the top.

Hi Cett,

Here is a site that will give you all information on a dutch oven

http://www.chuckwagonsupply.com/

the second site is the chef who used to cook for President Ronald Reagan on his ranch

http://www.cowb  nt2/merchant.mvc

I use a 3 legged Dutch Oven

Thanks to everyone who took the time to explain what a Dutch oven is. Leastways, now I can safely follow a recipe requiring this object knowing that a casserole dish is the same thing. Pity I didn't ask earlier, I missed out on some good recipes simply because I didn't know what implement to use! Thanks again.

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceMay 26, 2009
Keeping Your Oven Clean, Young Woman Cleaning her Oven
Keeping Your Oven Clean
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dutch Girl Costume
Man cleaning the oven.
Homemade Oven Cleaner Recipes
Unseasoned Dutch Oven
Seasoning a Dutch Oven
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 10:27:45 AM on 10.0.1.155 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.