Making Birthday Corsages

Does anyone remember the birthday corsages that were made in the 50's and 60's? For example, 16 years old, would be made as a candy corsage for 'sweet sixteen'. Each year would have a different theme. If you remember and have the ideas, I would appreciate them.

PJ from Forked River, NJ

Sweet Sixteen and Sour Seventeen

I remember those. The Sweet 16 corsage had sugar cubes wired to it with lots of pink ribbon and pink netting (tulle?). The Sour Seventeen corsage had lemon drops wired to it with lots of yellow ribbons and yellow netting or tulle.

By lovethosehounds

Guide To Birthday Corsages

I remember these. My aunt would make them for me.

Below is copied from this website: http://www.tagate.com/horoscope/page/birthday.shtml

Another tradition enjoyed by girls that was popularized in the 1950s and 60s, is that of receiving a special corsage (or several) that was decorated with candy or another inexpensive item that corresponded to your age. The items were priced within reach of one's peer group and all light enough so they could fasten easily to curly ribbon and be worn throughout the school day without problem.

• 10th birthday - lollipops
  • 11th birthday - gum drops
  • 12th birthday - tootsie rolls
  • 13th birthday - bubble gum
  • 14th birthday - dog biscuits
  • 15th birthday - life savers
  • 16th birthday - sugar cubes
  • 17th birthday - lemon drops
  • 18th birthday - cigarettes

By phishphan98

Roses From Hershey's Kisses

I have seen people take two red or pink covered candy kisses, put them flat surfaces together, and attaching them to a flower stem. It's designed to look like roses. You either cover them in netting or just leave them glued together. As long as they are not in a hot room, they should stay nice for a long time.

By Poor But Proud

Tootsie Roll Airplanes

Another cute thing that kids love at parties are the airplanes. You take a piece of gum for the wing, two life savers for the tires, and a tootsie roll for the body. Thread a rubber band between the candy circles, and place them on either side of the tootsie roll. Then, loop them over the gum on top for the wings. It's really cute and with dollar tree candies and gums, you can make about 30 for just $3.00.

By Poor But Proud

No Special Themes

Where I lived on Long Island, NY we did make the corsages but no particular theme by years.

Ehow LInk

By MCW

I remember using pipe cleaners to secure the candy. I would like to make one for a 7 year old but don't know which candy to use. I was thinking of gummy worms.

I was remembering these and trying to describe them to my daughter. They were so much fun and a wonderful memory for me.

I lived in West Islip, Long Island in the late 50's and the list posted here is exactly the one that we used. Some girls would get to school on the day of her birthday and 5 or 6 or even more of her friends would have made her coursages. They were often heavy too because of the candy.

I was just trying to explain these to my granddaughter and my search brought me here. Thanks for posting. Wonderful memories.

I lived in Long Beach Long Island. And that is what we did. I'm going to make my granddaughter one and it will be dog bones. Can you hear her now????. Lol.

I remember during the late 60's my father would always buy me a corsage for my birthday and I would wear it to school so proud. It was a way of telling everyone, "Today is my birthday!" Oh what good memories this brings back to me! I remember that my corsages had little bees and others had butterflies with a lot of ribbon, and of cause the candy tied up with pipe cleaners. I was born in New York but I no longer live there. I wish this fashion would come back. Lets make it come back and make corsages for our granddaughters.

I loved these corsages. I was just telling my cousins about them the other night. Some of my cousins were raised upstate and not in Queens like I was. They thought I was joking. Was this a tradition for all of New York or just some areas? At least now I can tell them what each of the corsages stood for. I remember that the more you received from your friends, and wore, the more popular you were. It was so much fun. Bring back those days.. The kids today would think it was crazy and would rather have ipods. I feel sorry for them. I had so many wonderful memories growing up. Those were the innocent days.

Has anybody found out where to buy these corsages? What was the candy for a 7 year old? I used to buy them for my daughter and sister. Let's bring this back, I think the kids would love it.