Disinfecting a Hamster Cage

Our hamster got sick and died a couple nights ago. I need to know a safe way to clean and disinfect the cage so the next one we get does not "catch" whatever Princess had. We had 2 cages for her to go back and forth in, and the 1 is all plastic. I do not want to use bleach as it may seep into the plastic and make the next one sick. Any ideas on how I can clean and disinfect this? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Janice from IL

Use a household steamer. You can rent, borrow, or buy. I use mine for everthing-- especially cleaning out the fridge.

At our house we have a Green Iguana.

We can't use just anything to clean with.

No soaps, no harsh cleaners or chemicals.

To clean his cage, and other items, we use Clorox Hard Surface Cleaner. It comes in a spray bottle so its easy to use. It is safe to use as well. We allow it to air dry before putting IGGY back into his cage.

Give this a try....

I clean my hamster's (also a Princess) cage with dial liquid soap. Just soap it up, scrub, rinse it out and dry. Our Princess is 1.5 years old. It could be your hamster did not die of anything that is "catching". They can become ill from lots of things and not all are contagious. How old was she? They only live 2-3 years. We love our Princess. She is such a cutie. I am sorry for your loss.

We clean our cage with vinegar and water. We have had no problems. Our first hamster lasted over 2 years.

I was told that Princess was about 1yr old, but dont know if we can believe everything we r told. I know they do not live more than a couple years. My sister is buying her daughter's hamster for my daughter for Christmas. Her (grown) daughter does not have room or time to spend with their hamster so they want to sell. So my dd is happy to be getting this one. Thanks for all the help and condolences. We still miss her, will for awhile, but will help having another one around to play with.

White distilled vinegar and rinse well and dry.

Hope lil Hammie is doing better.

I use Dawn dish soap. Dawn dishwashing liquid is used to clean wildlife affected by oil spills and I use it on my Hamster's cages and the company also donates money towards the international Bird Rescue Research Center and the Marine Mammal Center when you but their soap.

Close up of hamster in cage
Cleaning a Hamster Cage
Pets HamstersDecember 8, 2008
Hamster Eating Brocoli in Cage
Setting Up a Hamster Cage
Disinfecting Wipes
Reusing Disinfecting Wipes
Photo of a cute hamster.
Homemade Hamster Toys
Litter Training a Hamster
Litter Training a Hamster