Making Suit Pants Smaller

I need to alter my husbands new suit pants 4 inches smaller in the waist. Any suggestions for a professional looking job?

Betty from Warrensburg, MO

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I have a paperback book entitled: Altering Men's Ready-To-Wear.

It is way too complicated to explain how to accomplish this in a single post.

Please send me a message, and include your email address. I'll email you the instructions and photos through a PDF file.

A simple answer is that most good men's pants have a back seam that opens to make them easy to alter in the waist - If those pants do, just open the back seam and then fit them inside out on your husband to get a good fit - maybe you will have to have them loose to make the pants hang right, as taking away four inches is a lot...but perhaps 2 inches on each side wouldn't show - you have to see.

This is not a job for an amateur. For a professional look, go to a professional. And congrats to your husband for losing weight!

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Consumer Advice Clothing AdviceSeptember 24, 2008
Pants with a permanent crease.
Adding a Permanent Crease to Pants
Shorts made from blue jeans.
Making Shorts Out of Pants
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants. Baseball Player with Bat on White Background
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 2:59:08 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 719 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.