Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Help with Egg on Car Paint!

I cam out to my car the other morning and someone had egged my car. I have looked over ways of cleaning but they all are in warm weather. It was and has been in the teens the last few nights and wounder if Eskimos have the answer? HELP

ALG6 from Boston

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By toby (Guest Post)01/20/2009

My car was egged the other night, and by the time I got home it was frozen on the car because it is winter. When I woke up I washed it off with water and it was fine. I went ahead and used a clay bar to make sure it all came off, then waxed.

By robbie (Guest Post)11/24/2008

I had to borrow my sisters BMW wagon for two days. Only thing, I live in smallish town in Georgia so this sort car isn't really accepted or is considered an elite car. The car was egged last night. Odd, I've lived here for a year and no problems with my Chevy truck. Therefore, BMW and such should coat cars for such occasions. Well, just an idea.
Anyway, the warm water and vinegar did the trick.

By GUEST (Guest Post)11/01/2008

Used laundry detergent and warm water with a cello sponge - came right off even after being on for a day. Went through car wash (wanted to do it anyway before the winter). No problems.

By Tom (Guest Post)08/30/2008

Our black car was egged in August, while we were away on vacation so the egg was really dried. I knew that many laundry detergents contain enzymes to aid in removing protein based stains such as food and blood. I covered the area with rags and kept them soaked with a mix of 1 cup of Tide for cold washes (liquid) to 5 gallons of water. Perfect! No scrubbing needed.

By nik (Guest Post)08/19/2008

My car was egged last night and I noticed it at 3 pm today. I used water from a hose and a sponge and it came off easy. No paint damage.

By JR (Guest Post)07/29/2008

I found this site in a Google search among others. All sites cautioned about hurrying to get the egg off and listed all kinds of remedies. Your "guest post" made the most sense.

My 2000 Intrepid was egged overnight. It was nearly 3pm before I saw it. I had to go to work and had no time to deal with it. I worked all day and drove home at night. I slept late the next day, had to leave and did not get to work on the egg for 36 hours...and the daytime temperature was near 90!

I feared the worst but, based on your posting I thought: "WHY NOT USE HOT WATER AND DISH DETERGENT?" I got a bucket of the hottest water I could stand, added a generous helping of Joy, took a towel and kept slopping it on the car and rubbing. Eventually, it all came off without a hitch.

Now, the car had been damaged and re-painted and it was not original factory paint so maybe that had something to do with it but, there was NO paint damage!

So, THANKS, guest poster...thanks.

By (Guest Post)06/08/2008

Dish washing detergent works very well. Just used it and the paint isn't scratched and its like washing dishes..

Wet a sponge, put some detergent on it, put a layer of detergent on all affected areas and wait for like 5 mins. Then use a combo of the sponge and a hose and everything comes right off!

By Wendy (Guest Post)05/12/2008

Fortunately when I found that our cars (and front door) had been egged overnight we also had a frost so at least the eggs on the car were still wet(tish). I used warm water and detergent and it came off easily. I removed the large pieces of shell first and hosed down with cold water afterwards.

By ChuckM (Guest Post)04/04/2008

Just tried your suggestions of using Vaseline Intensive Care to remove egg from my car. IT WORKS! My car was egged early this morning. I parked it in the shade and and put several coats of the lotion over the affected areas making sure to keep it from drying out. After about 10-15 minutes the egg began to soften up and I could gently scrape it with my finger nails. After the egg was gone I rinsed the area with some bottled water I had in the car and then took it to a gas staion car wash for a good spray down. Thanks to you all!

By Sally [13]03/29/2008

Posted by email.

Plain old hot water will remove eggs from cars or walls. Mario

By pam (Guest Post)03/27/2008

Flour on car, removed with water, but now paint is chipping. What now?

By Mary Ann (Guest Post)03/14/2008

No Vaseline lotion available, so I used regular Vaseline and when that did not seem to be working, added the only lotion I had on hand which was some kind of berry. Worked and the egg yolk stains are gone!

By John (Guest Post)02/18/2008

I've had some on my car for over 2 years. Tried vinegar, goo gone, and lots of soaking and polishing. Nothing. But 20 minutes of Vaseline Intensive Care took about half of it off. I'll keep working with it, but it looks like that's finally the answer.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Help with Egg on Car Paint!

My neighbors house was egged last night and as I was looking at my car this afternoon I noticed some drip marks of egg on it. I know that eggs eat away at the paint on your car. I am going to give it a good washing today but is there something that I can put on my car to prevent the paint from peeling where the egg was? Thank you for the help.

Mindy

RE: Help with Egg on Car Paint!

Are you sure you aren't thinking about bird droppings Mindy? I can't imagine how egg would 'eat through paint' as I wasn't aware it had any corrosive properties.

Regards Jo (04/05/2005)

By Jo Bodey

RE: Help with Egg on Car Paint!

Egg eats through car paint, some punk kids got mine and now the paint's completely damaged because it sat overnight. (06/17/2005)

By Taylor

RE: Help with Egg on Car Paint!

I used vinegar and warm water from a spray bottle and it worked great. Spray the spot and let it sit for about a min. with out letting it get dry. Then scrap the spot(gently enough to avoid scratching the paint) and wipe it clean with a wash cloth and your set. (09/11/2005)

By george

RE: Help with overnight peel of Car Paint!

My paint job was fine last night and today there is a three inch peeling spot tonight on the hood and abrasions like on the side of the hood. What could have happened? ..coke on the paint.. acid or what? (06/17/2006)

By Rosa

RE: Help with Egg on Car Paint!

Yes, Jo! Egg really does damage car paint! (06/18/2006)

By Grandma Margie

RE: Help with Egg on Car Paint!

Too late for you. Perhaps hope for someone soon. The best treatment for egg on automotive paint is hand lotion. Vaseline Intensive care. Put a healthy amount on your fingers and gently rub into the finish. The egg will loosen from the paint with ease. Do not rub hard, do not coax it with your fingernails. The egg will loosen up and whip away with a clean soft cloth. The lotion is good for your paint and seems to lift the egg, bird poop or sap right out of the clear coat. Try it on old sap stains, you'll be amazed. (11/26/2006)

By bob

RE: Help with Egg on Car Paint!

So as long as you take the egg off within less then an hour it shouldn't have any marks what so ever, right? I mean what if someone egged you like 11pm at night and u were able to take it off within 30 minutes or so? (04/17/2007)

By Curious George

RE: Help with Egg on Car Paint!

The hand lotion trick worked great, thanks for the idea. (07/30/2007)

By Tricia Ray

RE: Help with Egg on Car Paint!

Just wanted to say that the lotion trick worked amazingly. My friends car got egged and it sat for months in the CA sun. I mean this crap was baked on. We borrowed his car and thought it would be nice to see if we could magically get it out. We put on some Vaseline intensive care lotion and let is sit for a few minutes and then did just like you said. And voila, the egg just started to break down and ooze off with just using my fingertips. I wish I took a pic to show you the amazing job it did just so so you could actually believe. If all else fails make sure you don't forget to try this method. Thank you tremendously whoever posted that tip! (09/22/2007)

By Aubrey

RE: Help with Egg on Car Paint!

Just tried the lotion idea it worked great. Still got a few scratches and a couple of chips on the edge of the drivers door. Nothing a good buffing, touch up paint and waxing shouldn't take care of. The egg sat for several hours. (10/09/2007)

By Ted.

RE: Help with Egg on Car Paint!

Yep. It could happen to anyone. I tried all of the of the above with the exception of the vaseline hand lotion. Good luck to anyone who is reading this post as I have to run to the Paint shop and have my car repainted. Throwing eggs is a tasteless past time! (01/12/2008)

By Fabs

RE: Help with Egg on Car Paint!

My car got egg'd at night time.. it was freezing. like 30 degrees. This happened like at 12am.. and I didn't washed it till like 6am. Could it still damage my paint? The sun was not even up, and the egg stuff was frozen. (01/21/2008)

By Adrian.