Save Dog Fluff for the Birds

At this time of year, your dog will be starting to shed its winter coat. Save all the 'fluff' and hair you remove and put it in hedges or wherever is handiest. The birds love it for lining their nests! Alternatively, if you have lots, stuff it into one of these fatty ball containers and hang by your bird table.

Source: We've always done this, although the idea of using a container came from a bird seed catalog.

By Skinnyjinny from Scotland

Thank you for your tip, I have just bought a nesting box, a pair of blue tits are showing some interest in it so I'm hoping it will soon be occupied. Seeds water and a fur lined nest, what more could they want!

Lanky Liz from Scotland

I've done this for many years and my birds love it. I spread it around to different areas and even in the woods surounding my home. Don't know for sure but I swear the same birds came back to same nest.

What a great idea! I have an Akita mix with a double coat, and furminate him every few weeks. The neighborhood birds are going to love me!

fatty ball container? whuzzat?

Fatty Ball Container:-D

It is a container which holds 'fatty balls' which we can buy over here for the wild birds. See picture: from a catalogue not from my garden; although I have had several birds feeding at one time!

Hey, thanks for the reminder - I have a coffee can full of dryer lint to put out for the same purpose.

Funny, I started doing this with my little doggies fluffy downy soft curls. Honey is a poo-mix and his

hair is soft so when I trim him I stick it in a plastic baggie and when it is filled I take it across the field to where the trees are so birdies can make nests. Feels nice to share with the creatures of earth.

Have already started saving the lint from my dryer for this very purpose!

One time my big Bouvier, Annie the Orphan Dog, was taking a nap on the lawn, a small bird hopped over and grabbed a gob of her fur and flew off. She woke up and was looking around, like "what was that?" We had nesting boxes nailed to trees and we'd see the birds come and go with Annie fur in their beaks. We finally got a ladder and peeked in the boxes, they were lined with her fur. I would Furminate her on the lawn so there was lots of fluff. The birds really made out and their eggs had a soft nest.

Pets GroomingMarch 30, 2009
Potato Fluff
Potato Fluff Recipes
Grapes growing under a net to protect them from the birds.
Protecting Grapes from Birds
dog food outside
Keeping Birds Out of Dog's Food