I am looking for a foolproof pie crust recipe.
Judy from Union, NJ
I have been using a pie crust recipe for years, and it is always easy to roll.
3 c. flour
1 1/3 c. shortening (Crisco)
1 t. salt.
1 t. sugar
5 T. ice water
1 T. vinegar
Mix the flour, shortening, salt and sugar until crumbly. I find a pastry blender invaluable! Whisk together the ice water, vinegar and egg and add to the flour mixture. Roll out onto a generously floured surface, preferably a pastry sheet. This makes enough for 3 bottom crusts, or one 2 crust pie and one bottom crust. I roll out 3 bottom crusts and then freeze them to use when I need to.
This is from the Tenderflake Lard package
Tenderflake Perfect Pastry
yield 3 nine-inch double crust pies
5 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp salt
1 lb lard
1 tbsp vinegar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Mix flour and salt together.
2. Cut in lard with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse oatmeal.
3. In a 1 cup measure, combine vinegar and egg; Add cold water to make 1 cup. Gradually stir liquid into flour mixture. Add only enough water to make dough stick together.
4. Gather into a ball and divide into 6 portions.
5. Roll out each portion on lightly floured surface. If dough is sticky, chill for 1 to 2 hours.
6. Transfer dough to pie plate. Trim and flute shells or crusts and bake according to your recipe.
My sister in law adds 1 tsp of baking powder to the flour/salt mix, and cuts back the salt to 1 1/2 tsp.
You can use lemon juice in place of the vinegar, if you prefer. And use 1/2 tsp soda instead of the baking powder.
1 cup shortening 1 cup boiling water
3 cups flour 1 tsp. salt
Pour water over shortening and when it is melted add flour and mix with spoon or fork. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. Roll out without flour on board . If dough seems hard mix with hands until soft.
This recipe is flaky, easy to make and best of all is CHOLESTEROL free! Makes enough for a 2 crust pie
1 3/4 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. veg. oil (I use Canola)
1/4 c. ice-cold water
Place dry ingredients in bowl. Combine the ice water and oil. Beat well with a fork until thick and creamy. Pour all at once into flour.Toss and mix lightly with a fork. Dough will be moist. Form into a ball. Divide in half. Roll each half between sheets of waxed paper.
This is a how to video by paula deen. Only three ingredients to this. Hope you like it.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!