Removing Rust from an Old Metal Kitchen Table

I have an old metal (steel?) table, like the ones found in many a kitchen back in the 50s and 60s. I would love to bring it back to life, however it is rusty in a number of spots. What would be the best product to use to remove the rust? Along with some elbow grease?

By Angie from Russellville

I remember from some source years ago to try a crumpled ball of aluminum foil to clean off the rust on a car bumper or bicycle fender. It just might work on your metal table. Blessings.

Use steel wool and rubbing alcohol.

If those things don't work for you, there is a commercial product called naval jelly that will do it.

Try muriatic acid, outside where there's good ventilation. Scrub with a steel brush, with the elbow grease you mentioned. When finished hose it with water.

Good luck.

The aluminum foil works just fine. I have used it on chrome tables in the past and it was easy. I love that it is cheap and works. My kind of cleaning tool, yaaaay!

Home and Garden Repair Furniture TablesFebruary 28, 2011
Old Gun
Removing Rust Stains on Guns
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal