TablesFurniture

Removing Rust from an Old Metal Kitchen Table

I have an old metal (steel?) table, like the ones found in many a kitchen back in the 50s and 60s. I would love to bring it back to life, however it is rusty in a number of spots. What would be the best product to use to remove the rust? Along with some elbow grease?

By Angie from Russellville

I remember from some source years ago to try a crumpled ball of aluminum foil to clean off the rust on a car bumper or bicycle fender. It just might work on your metal table. Blessings.

Use steel wool and rubbing alcohol.

If those things don't work for you, there is a commercial product called naval jelly that will do it.

Try muriatic acid, outside where there's good ventilation. Scrub with a steel brush, with the elbow grease you mentioned. When finished hose it with water.

Good luck.

The aluminum foil works just fine. I have used it on chrome tables in the past and it was easy. I love that it is cheap and works. My kind of cleaning tool, yaaaay!