Removing Rust from Metal?

Whether it's tools that got left out in the rain or just general clean up, there are a lot of reasons to clean rust off of metal. Your metal items will last longer and loot nicer if you keep them free of rust. This is a page about removing rust from metal.

This tip is from many years ago, use Naval jelly. Hardware stores have it. Read the bottle well, know what you are using, and if it's appropriate. This requires ventilation, use it weather permitting. Turn on the exhaust fan, open windows and close the door while it does the job. Follow the directions.

Another old trick; Wrap or lay an old cloth on the stained area, let it soak with straight Coke overnight. Repeat as needed.

26 Questions

How do I remove rust from metal items?

By robin from Tobyhanna, PA

Answers

Hello, Try WD-40.

Depending on the size of the item & how severely rusted: a pencil eraser (or old-time ink or typewriter eraser, the kind with the abrasive in it); rub with various grades of emery cloth; wipe with WD-40; grind off with Dremel tool. Large tools and garden tools (wrenches, shovels, etc.) can be plunged into a pail of sand mixed with new or used motor oil; work the item in and out of the sand several times to remove rust & wipe off excess oil. Leave a light coat of oil on garden tools over the winter to protect from new rust.

Getting a wire brush from the hardware store is for starters. Some sanding paper meant for metal is another.

I was going to say WD-40 also. But the post from Pixiedust7 covers it all!

Answer this Question

I have a Peg Perego stroller and the front wheels are stuck. The bolts have rusted. Any suggestions for unrusting so I can change the bolts?

Thanks

Answers

cola poured on will eat at the rust. WD-40 may help too.
cj in dallas

By (Guest Post)

You can buy a product called naval jelly that removes rust.

By Ann4 (Guest Post)

I've heard of using cola but I think it has to be Coke. Makes me glad I don't drink the stuff !

By Barbie (Guest Post)

WD-40 reapeat if necessarry....
Kroil will work too....

Answer this Question

I have a metal box grater that has some rust on it. Can it still be used and if so, how can I clean the rust off of it?

By Maryeileen from Brooklyn, OH

Answers

Anonymous

Fine steel wool is pretty good at removing rust from metal. To avoid rust in the future, don't leave it sitting in water, and wash it as soon as you are finished using it, be sure to dry it well. Then if your oven is hot or warm, place it in there a few minutes so any water can evaporate.

This always happens to mine too. I finally got tired of replacing them and use my food processor. They make plastic ones. I don't know why the box ones rust and the food processor ones don't.

Maryeileen, try using "Barkeepers" cleanser. Just be real careful not to grate your fingers. I have yet to see one of those metal graters NOT rust.

Good Luck. GG Vi

Answer this Question

I have an old milk can that is pretty rusty inside. I want to turn it into a fountain. How do I get the rust out and then reseal it to hold water?

Answers

The easiest woudl be to get out most of the flakey rust with a wire brush, then Rustoleum the whole thing.

To make it watertight simply get this marvelous product called Enviro Tex, and pour it in the can. Wait 3 or 4 days to make sure it is REALLY dry, or put a hair dryer in there. www.michaels.com/.../M10178984.html

I've bought some antique, not valuable but great looking, metal shelves that are quite rusty. The shelves were originally red and I'd like to keep them in their original condition, but just tidy them up a bit.

I don't mind if some of the rust stays. They look like they need some rust removed and then some sort of shining product. I don't know if this possibility exists! Any advice would be very gratefully received.

By Kate D

How do you clean rust from a glass chandelier?

By Roberta B.

Answers

I would try Lime Away as it removes rust from porcelain tubs. Just soak it in it for a little while and see if it lifts the rust or rub over the area until the rust is lifted. If it's on the metal part of the glass chandelier; that's another matter. I think I'd be tempted to paint over the metal at that point.

Answer this Question

How do I remove rust marks from a gold metal table? It could be chrome, but it is gold colored.

By T from Bergen County, NJ

Answers

Have you used sandpaper? Do you just want to get rid of the rust without painting? If you want to paint, I read of a tip long ago that my dad used to keep rust from coming through. My dad found a wrought iron plant stand with shelves that was covered with rust at the city dump. He sanded the worst spots and then I told him about the tip, to cover it with vinegar. He repainted and never had a bit of the rust come through again.

If you do not want to paint, there are products at home improvement stores that you put on to get rid of rust.

Answer this Question

My canning pot has rust on the bottom. What's the best way to remove it?

By Marilyn

Answer this Question

My teapot boiled dry, the bottom was red when I remembered it, and now it's rusted on the inside. Is it ruined? If not, what can I use to get the rust out? Bon Ami isn't working too well.

By Beam

Answer this Question

This is a page about removing rust from metal tools. Tools that are free of rust are much nicer and easier to use. Whether you accidentally left them out overnight or picked up some tools cheap at a garage sale, sometimes you need to clean the rust off of metal tools.

A photo of rusty pliers.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

Scrubbing a stainless stop pot with a lightly abrasive cleaner like Bon Ami or Barkeepers Friend will get rid of any rust stains. That is how to remove rust from stainless steel pots easily.

Stainless Steel Pots

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

It can be challenging to clean sediments and rust inside an old metal tea kettle. This is a page about remove rust from inside antique tea kettle.

An antique tea kettle with some rust showing.

If you cake decorating tips have gotten a bit rusty, it is important to clean them throughly before their next use. This is a page about removing rust from cake decorating tips.

Metal cake decorating tips in several different shapes.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning RustOctober 25, 2011
🎂
🌻
😷
🎃
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Removing-Rust-from-Metal-1.html