Making Throw Rugs from Potholders

Has anyone made a throw rug by sewing potholders together? I am going to make little ones for the pets to lay on. I am going to buy two at a time when they are on sale and see how long they last.

How hard can it be, they are already in squares? Has anyone out there done this before?

By Robyn from Hampton, TN

I guess your pets are small if potholders will work to make a throw rug. I have a large dog and I use an old queen size quilt folded in half for her lounging area.

If you want cheap throw rugs check out the ones made from strips of recycled material sold in dollar stores or WalMart type of stores - rag rugs. They are very inexpensive and each one looks different since they are made from scraps.

What a great idea! I'd check the local thrift stores for potholders. I think you're right, it should be as simple as sewing the squares together. The only problem I could foresee is that the seams could be really thick and I'm not sure trimming the excess would be a good idea because the filling would fall out. I think I'd baste them together so that the sides are right up against each other so it doesn't create bulk or bumps (which would be uncomfortable for a pet) then sew them with a zigzag stitch so it stays flat and makes it stronger. I hope you'll post pictures. What a great reuse idea.

I would lay the potholders side by side and ziz-zag them together on the machine with a heavier thread like quilting thread in the bobbin and top.

Crafts Made With Potholders
Crafts Made With Potholders
Crafts SewingJanuary 25, 2010
Handmade Quilted Potholders
Homemade Potholders
Potholders From Fabric Scraps
Making Potholders From Fabric Scraps
Throw Rug
Cleaning Throw Rugs
Downward photo of an area rug in a lobby
Cleaning Area Rugs