Remembering Usernames and Passwords

It is hard to remember passwords. When possible (when you are able to select your password), choose a very short word that is easy to remember + a few numbers. For websites, put those numbers within the word. Most websites require 4-6 numbers and/or digits. Then when you go to a website that you have not used in a while you will know about what password you used.

For instance take the short word zip + (4 random numbers) you could do something like z45i11p (zip + 5411). I even use this plan with my debit cards and all. The ones that require you to change on a set basis then reorganize the numbers.

By notwrong

I decided that trying to remember even simple screen names and passwords got a little messy with writing them on slips of paper so we both had access to the sites. I purchased a Rolodex that came with cards and put all those collected on slips of paper on cards. Now they are easily found, if you have to update them you can easily do that or replace the whole card and they are in alphabetical order to find easily. It sits by the monitor and always in reach. There is one web site we use a lot and that one (because my husband can't remember it) is on a post it note on the bottom of the monitor. It is just the two of us in the house so it is safe to have it out in the open. When there is a reason to have the Rolodex out of view I quickly tuck it under the bed. You can also use it to keep track of important dates, but I keep from entering phone numbers and addresses because I have an address book for those.

It is suggested not to have the same password or PIN number for security reason. I have trouble remembering all of mine. So this is what I do:

Within your email account, create a folder "Passwords". Email yourself

In the subject line put in the bank name, website, etc., Type, User: (add your user name), Password: (enter your password or PIN)

Go to your inbox & immediately transfer to the folder you created as "Passwords"

All usernames and passwords appear at a glance.

Caution: Be Sure to Email Yourself and keep your email password private. Remember to close your email account when not in use. And create a log in password to operate your personal computer

To: janedoe AT

Subject: 1st Nat'l Bank, User: Jane123, Password: doe888

No paper trail, free of charge, no exposed desktop icon or folders and easy to update! Now, Just Don't Forget Your Email Password!

Computer login window.
Remembering Usernames and Passwords
Organizing Memory TricksJuly 1, 2009
Remembering Your Glasses
Remembering Your Glasses
Closeup of Pills in Weekly Medication Organizer
Remembering to Take Medicine
Cars in a parking lot.
Remembering Where You Parked
A man looking at his smartphone calendar.
Remembering Appointments