Keeping Track Of Passwords

Category Internet Tips
As we all expand our use of internet for paying bills on-line, social media, shopping, and more the need for secure passwords increases. The growing number of passwords we use makes it impossible to remember them all. This page offers some ideas for keeping track of passwords.

When I plug something into the wall under my desk, I want it to stay there. But when the internet guy hooked my stuff up, he had very little cable that day. That makes it really hard to "turn it around/backwards to see the numbers". Even then, I would have to see things upside down.

So, I got smart. One day while reconfiguring the desk, I took a photo of the back so when/if I needed it again, I would have it.

Now no more unplugging and dropping cords under the desk to fish up behind with no one to grab them for me.

N-JOY!

What is a good way for a person to keep track of their many pass words?

By Monica Rossi from Sonoma, CA

Answers

http://www.needmypassword.com

I write them down and carry in my wallet. However, I have a system for "remembering" what they are that it would be very difficult, virtually impossible, for someone to figure out if they don't know me. For example, if my purse was stolen or otherwise invaded.

Here is an example:
Password: Delilah8682
What I write down is: (parenthesis are the "answers", you don't write that down!)

Name of my last dog (= Delilah)
Last 2 numbers of my 2 little brothers birth years (= one bro 86, other bro 82)

More difficult:
892JPR
(= number of nephews and nieces I have)
(last digit of my SS #)
(number of times I have been married)
(best friends first initial)
(best friends last initial)
(first letter of name of my home town)

This "clues" me in on what the password is, but hardly anyone except my family would be able to figure it out. And I have specifically geared it to things they would know /remember just in case something untimely happens to me. Of course, besides that element, you do have to be able to interpret your own clues, so think it out well before you write it out. I have memorized my bank account and of course my email accounts, I don't have to remind myself of those, but my work paycheck account, dental account, etc...I don't get into every day. Hope this helps.

I wrote myself a draft of an e-mail letter and each password is added to it but the e-mail is never sent. It is always an unfinished draft so that I can add more passwords.

Bought an inexpensive address book with alpha tabs. Just instead of writing down addresses I write down the password under the corresponding alpha tab.

ex. under A: AT&T
user id: -----------
password-----------

I always write it in pencil as a I am asked to update my p.w. a lot and it saves me from having to scribble it out.
This has saved me a lot of times over the years. Have got several friends doing this also and they love it.

I have a ledger book on the bookshelf by my computer which I put all my passwords into, user names, etc.
For the basic entries, I use the same one. Meaning my car, my dog, my grandchildren's names. For secure sites I get more creative. But they all go into a ledger book. Do not do back to back so you can copy out and change rather than scribble corrections in.

I use a small roll-o-dex.

I have several passwords, all the same theme. But, like my bank accounts and such, I write everything backwords. Should someone get my info, look over my shoulder, or my daughter need them if I am ill, she is the only one who knows what I do. I don't have to remember them, and for me, at least, they are safe. I love all the ideas, too!

PBP

I use a small index box and file them under alphabetical tabs on 3x5 index cards. It works out great. I also put all pages I use in my favorites and add username and pw after the entry...Attmarybrown22ann1177It has saved me much anquish and they are handy to find.

Computers Internet TipsOctober 3, 2019
🍂
🎃