Keeping Track Of Medical Information

It is a good idea to keep track of all of your or family member's medical information, including medications, allergies, appointments, etc. This is a guide about keeping track of medical information.

I purchased a dog tag from PetSmart and on one side I have my name and phone number, on the other side I list O-POS / DIABETIC. It's attached to my key chain just in case of an emergency and can easily be seen.

By CaroleeRose from Madison, AL

We brought my mother to our home to live during the last few years of her life. She had a multitude of medications and medical information. Also there were trips to the doctor's and various specialist's offices and the emergency room, so that much of the information, especially prescriptions, changed often.

Finally I opened a computer file and recorded all the pertinent information. Then after each change it was easy to go in and add or deduct information to keep the list current. I would usually fit 2 to 4 copies of the list in medium or smallish print on each sheet of paper and print out two or three sheets.

I would cut the lists apart and store a couple in the glove compartment of my car, a couple in my wallet, and several on a magnetic clip on the front of my refrigerator, throwing out the older versions that were there. It was so much easier just to hand an updated list to the nurse, doctor or paramedic, than to take the time trying to gather together prescription bottles and remember pertinent information in the middle of a crises. ALL the professionals loved it so much that I now do the same with each member of the family.

The lists look something like this:

Jane Doe
DOB: 1/12/1234 Age: 56

Insurance: Medical Ins Providers
# 123456789

PCP: Dr. James Brown
Our Town Medical Center
(123) 456-7890
Cardiologist: Dr. John Sweetheart
(University Hospital)
800-123-4567
Pulmonologist: Dr. Breath

Office: (123) 123-4444

Allergies: Penicillin, aspirin,

History: Heart attack, Broken leg, TB

Operations: Tonsillectomy Adenoidectomy, Hip Replacement

Current Medications:
List including dosages and
where pertinent, times.
Ex.: Lipitor 20mg (1/day)

By Jeanne from South Daytona, FL

My husband attended a meeting last week where the speaker gave them a tip about information to have in case of an emergency at home. I had never heard this before but thought it is a great idea.

It's called "The Vial of Life": In an empty medicine bottle labeled ICE (In Case of Emergency), keep a list of the names, SS#, dates of birth and who to contact (if you're alone), plus all medications including dosages, doctors' names and phone numbers, allergies and medical history for all persons in the household. Put this medicine bottle in the butter dish area inside your refrigerator. The speaker said that EMT's are trained to look there for the information.

This is a great idea in case you were unconscious when needing help or needed help remembering the names of all medications at a stressful time. Just remember to keep the information updated in the fridge. It is a good idea to take this same information with you when you travel. It is on my to-do list.

By lavendergal from Delaware

If you don't carry Emergency Medical information on your person, you NEED to. Here is a site that offers 100% free Emergency Medical information that you can fill-in online and print out. Other ingenious items are available to suit your lifestyle, but all provide you with Emergency Medical information in the event that it's needed. I have the 'Free-ID' card printed out and keep one in my Biking bag and wallet.

By cajun62234

As my husband, my 4 year old and myself all ended up with the flu, keeping track of who I gave the Tylenol to and when I took that cough syrup and all that came up more than one time.

Many years ago, I was diagnosed with a medical condition that was not life threatening, but did cause various problems. I had went to specialists for well over a year without much help. At the time, there wasn't much treatment for this medical condition.

For every physician you see and for every place where you have a medical test performed (ex. if you have an ultrasound in a hospital), create a file folder with the following information:

This is a guide about keep an up-to-date medication list with you. Having a list of your current medications with you in case of an emergency is a good idea.

Read More... Was this helpful? 2

Does anyone know where I can find a good medication chart? My husband just had Triple Bypass Surgery and I really need to keep up with his medications, like what he takes and like 2 or 3 times a day. Some kind of check list to go by. I don't know how to use the programs on the computer. Also what kinds of foods I can give him. Thank you all so much for all the help you have already given.

wvqdz from WV

Answers

You can get a pill box that has 7 little separate boxes. Each box has a compartment for 4 separate times of day. I found one in the dollar store.

Here are some links of medication charts. They're all a bit different -- perhaps one fits your needs better than another.
http://www.drsr  ation_chart.html
http://www.solv  cation_Chart.pdf
http://www.amer  /49_medchart.pdf

I've been an Open Heart Nurse for 10 years, not to mention my mom had open heart surgery 3 times. You will get through this! Asking questions is the best thing you could be doing. First of all for separating his meds, I've been told the pill boxes work the best. Some of my patients fill a week's worth at a time, and many times a home health nurse will do this for the elderly ones. Maybe you could find a resource throught your MD's office to help you get set up with a system that works for you. As far as diet goes it seems that your husband's heart surgeon or cardiologist would have provided this information prior to his discharge from the hospital! To tell you a cardiac diet is low in sodium and cholesterol with no caffeine is not enough for most people. Inquire as to whether or not you have access to a dietician through your health insurance. When all else fails get on the internet and through a search engine lookup "cardiac diet" and if he is a diabetic add "cardiac ADA diet". ADA stands for the American Diabetic Association and their restrictions must be combined with a cardiac diet if your husband has both conditions. Good luck!

I use three weekly pill cases to keep track of my medications. (I take mine three times a day.) That way, when the pill case is full, I know I haven't taken my pills yet. If it is empty, the opposite is true. You can also buy pill cases that are for one week, but have 4 different little compartments for each day. Both kinds are sold at your drug store.

Also, there is a chart available from www.flylady.net. It is called The Body Clutter Investigator. You can download it for free http://www.flyl  body_clutter.asp on this page. Click on Body Clutter Investigator and you will be directed to the page ready to download. This sheet makes it possible to keep track of how many servings of fruits and veggies you've had each day. It includes water consumption. Its all needed for a healthy diet.

Hi,

SUPER--SUPER TIP!!!!!!!!

This is one of the best tips I can give you!

Get weekly pill boxes with 4 compartments, Morning, Noon, Evening, Bed. That is compartments that make a week with 28 places for pills.

I have 5 of them! I do my pills once a month. (28 days).

I order all my pills one time a month, and sit and do them one time a month.

When you use a system like this you can tell at a glance if the right pills were taken or not. This is very important when you can't remember if you took an important pill and don't want to take it again.

I used this system with my Mother and Aunt for their pills 20 years ago and still use it today for myself.

For going out for the day some planners pop out and you can take the day with you. I would put it in a baggie in case it popped open. When traveling I take the whole 7 days with me and use a zip bag.

My 7 day planners have the whole monthly lid that comes off so when I fill it, it's easier. It also will go through the dishwasher top shelf.

I know you asked about a chart, and the other responders have had good sugustions. I've never dealt with a chart so they can help more with that.

I would never go back to doing my pills any other way than this.

They are ready for you to take without opening all those seperate pill bottles each time.

Good Wishes.

I make my own forms for my three boys. They are each on a different medication and therapy regimen for their epilepsy & other disabilities and I put each into a separate three ring binder and I can see at a glance what I have done for the day, what I still need to do, meds left to give, etc. I like making my own forms because each of my boys need different "charting". One only takes medication twice a day and needs no therapies or anything else charted. One needs EVERYTHING charted: what he eats, times meds are given, what he drinks, when he goes potty, when his physical, occupational and speech therapies are, cognitive things we may notice... and the third is somewhere in between... the same form for all of the boys would be silly because one needs just a simple med chart and the others need considerably more. The pill boxes are a great idea, I do not use them as I have small children in the house, but that would further uncomplicate our hectic life. The three ring binders travel well to the doctor's office and also makes a great place to store your "list of questions" for the doc! Good luck!

Your Pharmacist can make your medication up in blister packs with the date, time, dose and name of medication on the back of each pop out section so there are no mistakes. Otherwise places like respite centers and hospitals have quite good forms that you could copy.

http://dhi.heal  l_tools/mars.pdf

Try this chart for keeping track of medications. I'm sure you could find a less complicated one - but, you can probably modify it to your needs.

check out:
www.ktdales.com for a complete system