Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Removing Stains from Socks

Help me! My socks look filthy (even new ones after one wear) from my nursing Birks and my kids are the same from their Vans! My hubby usually does laundry so he doesn't pay much attention but since taking it back over I am going bonkers! Since they've been washed and dried several times, is there any way to get the stains out? Some of the socks are still new!

Melanie from CA

By

By soyzicks (Guest Post)12/04/2008

oxy clean

By Dorina (Guest Post)12/04/2008

I put my water setting on cold; put the 'large load setting' on; a cup or two of clorox bleach into the water with detergent. Turn machine on let it agigate for a few minutes then stop the machine. Let it soak at least 30 minutes and then turn machine back on to agigate. This works well for all my whites (socks/undies).

For socks that are colored I would use a little dish soap with my regular detergent.

I always use vinegar in the rinse cycle instead of softener.

By Mona Ali [1]07/23/2008

My Son plays Football. I use 409 spray for general cleaning on his clothes and socks. Spray before you wash, let it set for 15 minutes and wash as you normally do. 409 is great for spot cleaning stains on all your clothes, carpet, etc. I have used it for YEARS!
Also 409 is great to clean white sneakers. I learned about 409 when a friend told me how to get a coffee stain out of a silky yellow blouse, AFTER I had already washed and dried it. I was very skeptical, but I sprayed it, throwed it right in the wash and almost fainted when I took it out of the washer and it was GONE! i Learned this in 1981.
I use it everytime I get a stain in my clothes, carpet, or my GRANDKIDS clothes...Sometimes I just squirt some in the wash machine in the water...with the regular washing solutions for an extra cleaning boost....

By Kathy [6]11/05/2007

meoowmom You said you use some bleach....how and when?

I am doing laundry tonight, so I hope to give you procedure a try!

By Annie Rios Hill [12]11/04/2007

My stepson arrives each summer with grey socks and tshirts
so I use some bleach and then rewash using laundry soap
and 1 cup white vinegar and 1 cup baking soda that really
makes them white. In fact my stepson asked me to tell his
mow what to use as she asked if they were the same socks.
She could not believe they were white again.

By karen zetzer [16]10/25/2007

I have a similar problem as well as greasy stained work t-shirts. I was watching The View one day and Whoopi was talking about always wearing white socks at home and she found that Spray & Wash Dual Power kept her socks white. I tried it and have been amazed. You can also just pour some onto the load of clothes before washing and it will help the whole load be it color or white look so much brighter.
Karen From Port Clinton OH

By c w [1]10/25/2007

Just regular bleach but it takes a few minutes to work on stains!

What I do-- Start a stainy white load with a good splash of bleach; after it agitates a few times, I shut it off & piddle around the laundry room for about 5-15 minutes to let it work; as I leave the room, I start it up again. So they get to soak for a few minutes. BTW, store brands are not as effective as Chlorox--EXCEPT the brand sold at ALDI grocery store has worked great for me!

In a nutshell, from my experience, ANY stain must be soaked in order to remove it. Only fresh, minor stains or those 'oil' type stains come out with those convenient, quick shot sprays like Spray 'n Wash, etc. Most other stains, you really have to give a little attention & work on.

By suzin (Guest Post)10/24/2007

I have never tried this but I read somewhere that if you soak your white garments in cascade dishwasher soap it will whiten them. Just put water in a bucket, add the cascade and soak overnight. Then when you are ready to wash just dump the whole thing in the washer. It was said that it works.

By Karyn (Guest Post)10/22/2007

Javex bleach if they are white socks. For coloured socks, try bleach for unbleachables.
If you have hard water, even bleach will not help with whites, but don't dispair, find yourself a white dye for clothing and dye your socks. Works wonders.

By Karyn (Guest Post)10/22/2007