Homemade Cookies Taste Salty

I'm trying to learn how to cook. I baked cookies according to this recipe, but they came out tasting salty. Could anyone help me figure out what went wrong?

• 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs

By Wild Irish from USA

I bake for a living.....change the recipe!

3/4 cup butter

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

and did you use unsalted butter ?

I change all recipes by decreasing butter and altering the baking soda/powder ratios.

So cut the salt by half.

The recipe may have originally called for unsalted butter. For some reason unsalted butter is much more expensive. I would just try 1/2 tsp of salt.

I would use half the salt and unsalted butter.

My suggestion to the salty taste is not to use salt at all. After my husbands triple by-pass surgery I never put salt in baking confectionary again and we

still have tasty scones and cakes

Deirdre

As you're just learning to bake, I would suggest making the recipe again, and make real sure you used the tsp instead of the TBS for your salt and baking soda. If they come out salty again, then definitely change the recipe. But I've made that silly mistake before, & I've been baking for 40 years! Enjoy your treats!

Did you use Kosher Salt? That will not dissolve and will taste salty.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did use the teaspoon (not tablespoon, as I know how easily that can happen, LOL). Also, I didn't use Kosher salt, just regular table salt. If the salt isn't necessary, I might just get rid of it entirely, as Mary of Lourdes suggests. I don't like adding any more salt than necessary to my food. :(

You do need to add salt to get the leavening to work whether it is baking soda or baking powder. The normal ratio is one teaspoon of baking soda and one half teaspoon of salt. I reduce the amount of salt frequently and things turn out quite well. Have fun. Remember that recipes can be changed and improved. Make a note of what you did so that you will remember next time.

@Jazzylazzy, Thanks. I'm glad I read your post before I decided to make cookies with no salt, LOL!

I've got the flu right now, but I'm going to play with this recipe when I feel better. I'm just wondering why the person who originally posted this recipe online didn't notice or care that their cookies tasted like a salt lick. :D

Did you by any chance use self-rising flour? It has salt in it, it would have doubled the salt in the recipe. Also, if you used salted butter, that would do it. You could use unsalted butter instead, or Crisco (or no-name Crisco). Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with the recipe as you show it.

Omg! I didnt know that about self rising flour. (Added salt)! Thank you!!

Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking CookiesJanuary 24, 2011
Photo of homemade orange jello.
Homemade Jello (Gelatin) Recipes
Spaghetti Sauce
Fixing Spaghetti Sauce That is Too Salty
Keeping Homemade Cookies Fresh
Keeping Homemade Cookies Fresh
Cookies on white.
Potato Chip Cookies
🎄