Can I Use Yeast in My Septic Tanks?

Category Septic Tank
Jar of yeast spilling out onto cap.
The bacteria in yeast is considered a good additive for septic systems. This is a guide about, "Can I use yeast in my septic tanks?.

Is yeast satisfactory to use regularly in septic tanks?

By Vivian from Acton, CA

Answers

Best Answer

Yes, you can. Just empty a few packs down your drain every month or so followed by lots of very warm water. Yeast is "good" bacteria and this will counter-act the killing of bacteria by bleach and other cleaners that are washed down your drain. As an added benefit, yeast is way cheaper than any of the commercial products you see advertised on TV.

Best Answer

Well, you could use yeast, but it may not actually be thrifty in the long run. Did a little Googling (and multiplying and dividing :). A 20.7 oz box of Rid-X ( essentially yeast-based) runs about $12 and has enough for two monthly treatments; that would be about 10 1/2 oz. per month at a cost of around $6.

Three ounces of yeast is about $5. If you threw three packets in per month your septic system is getting an ounce and a half less than the Rid-X and would run you about $15! I'd keep the yeast for the bread maker (been using Rid-X for years and it does the job for us, as well as doing what others have said here about making sure what goes down the drain is biodegradable).

Best Answer

Yes, it is old fashioned remedy to keep the septic working proper. I lived in country for 15 years and put my yeast in jar and fed it some sugar added warm water then stir, and let work, flush down toilet once per month. My grandpa did this never had any trouble with septic.

Best Answer

Buy the bread maker yeast at Walmart for 5 something in jar keep in refrigerator only costs pennies last for ever. Use 2 tablespoons once per month. They used to use cake yeast, but hard to find and this is better. Mix, like I said in my first post.

Best Answer

I have had a septic tank for years. This is what the septic people told me: Don't put egg shells down the garbage disposal. (Egg shells never dissolve, they just float on the top. Everything else is OK.) Avoid using chlorine bleach in your laundry, and only use liquid laundry detergent. Thirty plus years and never had any trouble.

Best Answer

Yeast is great for your system. I work for a concrete septic producing company. With proper bacteria, a tank doesn't EVER need pumping, unless you add stuff like egg shells or plastic toys! Try to be easy on stuff like bleach.

What affects does yeast have on a septic tank system, to use or not to use?

By Tom from Peculiar, MO

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

The bacteria in a septic system work in an airless environment and do quite well at breaking down solid matter from humans. The worst thing one can do is pour grease down the drain as it will form a barrier that eventually coats the lines. Dishwashers create another problem by making the liquid in the septic tank too alkaline. I'm using a system that has never needed pumping in 20 years because I don't use a dishwasher and greasy pans are well wiped with paper towels before the pans go in the water.