Can I Regularly Use Yeast in My Septic Tanks?

Is yeast satisfactory to use regularly in septic tanks?

By Vivian from Acton, CA

Yes, you can. Just empty a few packs down your drain every month or so followed by lots of very warm water. Yeast is "good" bacteria and this will counter-act the killing of bacteria by bleach and other cleaners that are washed down your drain. As an added benefit, yeast is way cheaper than any of the commercial products you see advertised on TV.

put road kill directly in to septic tank

I suppose you could, but why? If put only human waste in the septic system there is no need to add anything else. Only thing you have to do is have the tank pumped every few years. That depends on how big the tank is and how many people you have living in your home. People have problems with their systems because they don't pump the tank and put items down the drain that the natural bacteria can't break down, thus destroying the leaching field. I have never put anything down the drain that would cause a problem. I have it pumped every five years and it has been working great for over 30 years.

Thank you foxrun41 and Greenacres5051 for your replies to my septic tank question. I really appreciate it. As your replies were a eiher "end of the spectrum", do you think I should get a third opinion?.

Ha Ha.

Thanks again,

Vivian

Well, you could use yeast, but it may not actually be thrifty in the long run. Did a little Googling (and multiplying and dividing :). A 20.7 oz box of Rid-X ( essentially yeast-based) runs about $12 and has enough for two monthly treatments; that would be about 10 1/2 oz. per month at a cost of around $6.

Three ounces of yeast is about $5. If you threw three packets in per month your septic system is getting an ounce and a half less than the Rid-X and would run you about $15! I'd keep the yeast for the bread maker (been using Rid-X for years and it does the job for us, as well as doing what others have said here about making sure what goes down the drain is biodegradable).

Yes, it is old fashioned remedy to keep the septic working proper. I lived in country for 15 years and put my yeast in jar and fed it some sugar added warm water then stir, and let work, flush down toilet once per month. My grandpa did this never had any trouble with septic.

Buy the bread maker yeast at Walmart for 5 something in jar keep in refrigerator only costs pennies last for ever. Use 2 tablespoons once per month. They used to use cake yeast, but hard to find and this is better. Mix, like I said in my first post.

Most septic people don't recommend Ridex. I have been told it solidifies like a brick in the tank. Regular yeast works best. I dissolve some up with a touch of sugar to get it going and wash it down the drain.

I have had a septic tank for years. This is what the septic people told me: Don't put egg shells down the garbage disposal. (Egg shells never dissolve, they just float on the top. Everything else is OK.) Avoid using chlorine bleach in your laundry, and only use liquid laundry detergent. Thirty plus years and never had any trouble.

Thank you all again. I really appreciate the feedback. I'm so glad I found this website. I'm sure I'll have questions on other problems in the future

Vivian

Yeast is great for your system. I work for a concrete septic producing company. With proper bacteria, a tank doesn't EVER need pumping, unless you add stuff like egg shells or plastic toys! Try to be easy on stuff like bleach.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Septic TankSeptember 27, 2010
Septic Safe Cleaners
Septic Safe Cleaners
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
clogged toilet
Unclogging a Drain or Toilet Attached to a Septic System
Safe Toilet Paper for Septic Tanks
Toilet Paper Advice for Septic Tanks
🎄